_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M3 Grant references needed
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 03:39 PM UTC
Does anyone have any links to the M3 Grant? I've got some information on the M3 Lee, but I've realized my Grant info is not quite as good. I know there are countless issues with the Tamiya M3 Grant/Lee kits, but I think if I start building one of these kits, then it will spur the incoming M3 tank kits to come a little quicker.

I've got MMiR volume 2, number 2 and it has a good run down of the M3 hull in an article titled The Sherman Tank, part 2a: M3 Glacis Armor.

I am aware of the road wheel spoke issue as well as the standard track issue. What are the issues with the turret and is it possible to reshape it without too much difficulty?
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2004 - 12:18 AM UTC
Rob:

Here's a link to a Washington Armor Club article that may be helpful: http://www.clandavidsonusa.com/wac/panzergruppe/jan96.htm#Grant_1

With the Grant version, I thin the biggest issue (after the tracks and roadwheels) is the position of details on the turret and hull. If you have the drawings from Hunnicutt's Sherman or even the Squadron M3 Grant/Lee in Action book, you should be able to reposition the pistol port and other details to make a nice representation of the Grant without going aftermarket or doing major surgery.

That's what I did with this one:

To build a Lee, on the other hand, you really need a Grant hull to get the proper gas-engine rear end. It also has some turret issues, notably that Tamiya turned the gun counterweight into a machinegun barrel. Again, good reference drawing and pics are essential to positioning details -- Tamiya took some shortcuts.

Good luck!
pcmodeler
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 292 posts
Armorama: 236 posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2004 - 04:04 AM UTC
I've got 31 photos here: http://public.fotki.com/pcmodeler/reference_gallery/armor_reference_photos-1/m3_grant/

_GOTOTOP