_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Tamiya: Schienenpanzer
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2019 - 06:44 PM UTC

Tamiya collaborates with ICM Holding on its upcoming release of a captured Panhard 178 modified by the Germans to run on railway tracks.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2019 - 08:41 PM UTC
So.

I was going to get this kit eventually since I had already built the non-RR version. Now that Tamiya has popped it out again with a couple of incentives, if we ignore the new stuff what advantage does one kit have over the other? There really shouldn't be any other than maybe plastic quality, layout of instruction sheet, decals options...stuff like that, right?

If you were to be handed just the set of sprues to build the 204 itself, which company's sprues would you want?

Personally, I'm not too sure about that commander figure; it's going to take some work to get at least one of those arms up and pointing. The one in the pocket is near hopeless as you would have to scratch an entire hand let alone an extended index finger. That was a real oversight on Tamiya's part.
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2019 - 09:03 PM UTC
Is the price of the Tamiya rebox worth the difference between the Tamiya one (what is it?) and the $25 - $35 price for the ICM one and extra parts you can get after market, if not from the soare parts box?
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2019 - 03:30 AM UTC
Folks, it's a very specific vehicle, so either you're into it or not. I was not aware of ICM's version, and clearly Tamiya will get more attention for the kit. If there's nothing here for you, move on, please.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2019 - 04:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Folks, it's a very specific vehicle, so either you're into it or not. I was not aware of ICM's version, and clearly Tamiya will get more attention for the kit. If there's nothing here for you, move on, please.

Not sure who you're addressing, Bill. I was merely asking if there was any advantage of the Tamiya pressing over the ICM original other than the extras Tamiya is including. I even started my query with the remark that I was planning on getting this vehicle; I already have the wheeled version.

In fact, I now have another question:

Whose rails is this kit likelier to fit if I mix manufacturers, Dragon's or Trumpeters?

I ask because I have railcars by both companies and would like to place this kit on the same track section as one of them with the least amount of modification.
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2019 - 04:49 AM UTC
For 178 fan, ROG has released the same kit. Maybe next year they will also have the rail version.

I don't know about the rail. For the other folks, there is some rail section in the box for the ICM release. Miniart has two European track sets. I think a dio with dead end section would look nice. YMMV.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2019 - 11:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Not sure who you're addressing, Bill.

No one in particular. I have noticed over time that news announcements sometimes get hijacked by "why is/is not this kit/another kit" and "I don't know why Manufacturer X has released this kit."

I have no interest in the release, but I'm sure Tamiya is convinced there will be sales for this, and ICM probably could use to get the molds paid for with someone else's money.

Again, no particular criticism of anyone, just trying to keep the discussion here focused on the utility/lack of same of new kits.
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2019 - 12:46 PM UTC
Haven't looked at their catalogue in some time but I can't help but wonder how this release compares with the earlier Dragon releases, both RR and non-RR of this vehicle. Always thought that either version would be interesting additions to a dio.
 _GOTOTOP