_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Ryfield or Takom Jagdpanther
cwo-3
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 75 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2019 - 05:19 PM UTC
Not knowing a durn thing about WWII German armor, I would like to get some opinions on both kits. I have decided to go to the dark side and build a Jagdpanther with interior. I would say I am an experienced builder but not an expert. I build for myself, not contests.

I am more interested in fit and accuracy. I like to dig into the history of a particular vehicle and would like the kit to represent a NW European vehicle maybe with Zimmerit.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
ijozic
Armorama: 109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2019 - 05:51 PM UTC
If you want a Zimmerit coated one, it should be an early G1 model as they stopped using it when the G2 went in the production.

Currently, only Takom has an early/mid production G1 with Zimmerit released so that's the one to go for (they also have a late one without Zimmerit IIRC). I guess it's also an easier build with much less PE parts compared to the RF one.

There are build threads on both Takom and RF JagdPanthers on this very forum so you can compare them.
d111298pw
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 654 posts
Armorama: 638 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2019 - 10:38 PM UTC
You can have a look and my RFM build log here to get an idea of whats in this kit.
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/277466

Once of the big differences between the Takom and RFM kits is that RFM uses a lot more PE in their version. So, if you aren't a fan of PE, then get the Takom version.
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2019 - 11:38 PM UTC
Honestly? Takom. It is a question I was debating myself, however, now I have some experience with two related kits, the answer is clear (for me). I am building a Panther in paralell from both companies (you can find an in-box comparison and the builds at their present stages on my blog if interested), and in short: the RFM Panther's lower hull is a bit too narrow for the torsion bars, transmission and PE brackets (which are a b+!tch to install anyhow), so I struggled a lot to install them. The JgdPanther shares this issue with the Panther based on the build recommended above. This problem alone would tip the balance in favor of the Takom kit.

Otherwise the RFM kit has insane amount of detail and a LOT of tiny parts which did not need to be separate necessarily (and some design decisions which are somewhat debatable); so if detail is what matters, then it is the RFM kit. In fact that model really lends itself to depict the vehicle under construction/maintenance, or damaged/abandoned and looted. Takom reaches a similar -but not as high level- of detail without the fuss. It is more like a more polished MiniArt T-55A interior model. For most people the Takom will have fewer frustrations in stock. (Takom has its issues, too, but which models does not? I liked the RFM tracks better, for example.) Right now it really feels like the RFM Panther is fighting me, so I would suggest the Takom one. (I will get that one when time/budget allows.)

Edit: here are direct links if you are interested

https://butterfingeredmodelbuilder.wordpress.com/2018/04/29/the-tale-of-two-panthers-an-in-box-comparison-of-the-rye-field-models-and-takom-models/

https://butterfingeredmodelbuilder.wordpress.com/2019/05/01/takom-sd-kfz-171-panzher-ausf-a-with-interior-part-3/

https://butterfingeredmodelbuilder.wordpress.com/2019/04/25/rye-field-model-sd-kfz-171-panzher-ausf-g-with-interior-part-2/
(The RFM build update is severely lagging...)

cwo-3
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2019 - 06:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You can have a look and my RFM build log here to get an idea of whats in this kit.
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/277466

Once of the big differences between the Takom and RFM kits is that RFM uses a lot more PE in their version. So, if you aren't a fan of PE, then get the Takom version.

cwo-3
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2019 - 06:47 AM UTC
Yes, I reviewed your build.. Beautiful!. I have built several Ryefield kits and they are intense. I would like an interior and zimmerit so I probably will go with the Takom.

Thanks for the advise.
cwo-3
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2019 - 06:50 AM UTC
Thanks for the intel Andras. I think i’m going to go with the Takom kit for my first venture into German WWII armor.
cwo-3
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2019 - 06:50 AM UTC
Takom it is.

Thanks Mark.
U-mark
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2019 - 07:48 AM UTC
Mike, I'm currently building the Takom G-2. I would suggest the Takom kit. I found it a bit less intense than the RFM Panther. I have had no fit problems and in my opinion it is only slightly less detailed than the RFM kit. A lot of detail will never be seen anyway, like the engine and suspension.
 _GOTOTOP