_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
News
Master Box: The American West
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2019 - 02:04 PM UTC

Available November-December are three figure sets from Master Box's Outlaw - Gunslinger series.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2019 - 02:15 PM UTC
...badges, we don't need no 'stinkin badges... or..."You just shot an unarmed man!"--"well, he should've armed hiself!". I think I've seen this movie before, but these figures look like a whole lot of fun pardner! Glad MB is releasing some interesting figures for vignettes other than WWII. Doesn't that Bandito look a little like Sean Connery?
VR, Russ
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2019 - 02:22 PM UTC
At first glance I thought he was Tom Selleck
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2019 - 02:44 PM UTC
I'd vote Selleck as well. The rider could pass for Clint Eastwood in "Pale Rider." And did the woman put a round into that guy, or did he just fall off his horse at the edge of her farm? Very interesting figures all around!
zorrolobo
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
KitMaker: 1,457 posts
Armorama: 1,440 posts
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2019 - 05:16 PM UTC
Nice and different. though I would have liked more realism on the saddles. A "charro" saddle for the Mexican and "cowboy" saddles for the other two would have been more accurate.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2019 - 02:54 AM UTC
Looks like MB got lazy and just used the same horse molds for both figure kits!
ESCUDILLA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2019 - 04:06 AM UTC
Would have liked to see the 'Western' and not the military saddle.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2019 - 07:02 AM UTC
The images are CAD. From experience the figure will look different. I like the approach of MB to make some civil, movielike figure sets. Think of their "Mad Max" figures oir the Resident Evil/Zombie movie set.
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2019 - 10:48 AM UTC
And here I was thinking about "badges..." I'll probably never build them but kudos for MiniArt bringing them out. The rider is spooky-cool.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2019 - 11:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And here I was thinking about "badges..." I'll probably never build them but kudos for MiniArt bringing them out. The rider is spooky-cool.

..Blazing Saddles and Unforgiven. Two of my favorite lines from western movies.
but these are nice figures. The saddles back then weren't what they are today, a McClellan Military saddle from the civil war and west looks a lot different than these do-- they look ok to me.
VR, Russ
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2019 - 01:39 PM UTC
I'm thinking more along the lines of "Pancho and Lefty."
Naseby
Visit this Community
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
Armorama: 246 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2019 - 12:46 AM UTC
Interstingly the first box art is showing the Winchester Yellow Boy,which does not correspond with the Rifle cartridge belt around his shoulder. In the next pictures the Yellow Boy is exchanged for what looks like a military style Winchester 1895 which in turn does not correspond with the 1860-1870ish clothing.
ryally
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 879 posts
Armorama: 330 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2019 - 01:11 AM UTC
If only the pictures resembled what you got in the box. Reminds me of the old Tamiya figure box arts and then what the actual figure looked like.
Its like Verliden's box arts, you would look at the box and go OMG and then when you got home and open the box you would go What the heck! is that it LOL
PzDave
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 319 posts
Armorama: 285 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2019 - 08:48 PM UTC
1/35th for Western figures ia a little small? Maybe something larger would have been better. The Mexican looks like Tom Selleck? Model companies that are not from America (and even some American) just never look at good sources, or photos of the period.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2019 - 11:20 PM UTC
Only the box top looks like Tom Selleck. The figure's face looks more like Gary Busey.

And the rider looks like a combination of Lee Marvin and the older Brad Pitt.

And American? It is the American West. The image of which is largely formed by American movies. We're stuck with American archetypes even for Mexicans.

I would have preferred the Mexican be more like from The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2019 - 12:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I would have preferred the Mexican be more like from The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

You mean a Polish Jew from New York?
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2019 - 08:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

You mean a Polish Jew from New York?

I didn't want to say it. I knew someone would finish the thought.

I meant the gun and outfit.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2019 - 02:34 AM UTC
I just started work on this figure:
http://www.mbltd.info/figures/1-35-scale/historical-miniatures/35197.html
and there are serious differences between the artwork and the figure. Actually the CAD is closer to the figure. It is supposed to be a cavalry sergeant, as per the artwork, but the figure has different boots, and doesn't have any spurs at all! The spurs and straps can be made, but still...
The sculpting and molding is sharp and flash-free, but I wish the sculptor paid more attention to detail.
Another thing - there are no definite attachment points (keyed locating pins) for parts, especially the arms. The arms are separate parts as are the gauntlet hands, and his carbine. So you have to fiddle about with 5 different parts to get them all in proper alignment.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2019 - 02:46 AM UTC
I'm watching Good, Bad, and the Ugly for about the 40th time right now as I type this. The wife accidentally discovered it on Starz (and is probably still kicking herself for doing so)
Tuco's got a Colt Navy 1951, as did Blondie.
namengr
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 332 posts
Armorama: 328 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2019 - 10:13 AM UTC
Love how Tuco mixes and matches the parts to make a tight shooting pistol. Black powder guns needed some fine tuning!
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2019 - 10:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Interstingly the first box art is showing the Winchester Yellow Boy...

Clint starts out with one of these in the beginning when he shoots Tuco's rope, but by the end of the movie he has a Sharps rifle. I guess by mixing and matching you can portray some classic movie scenes.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2019 - 10:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Love how Tuco mixes and matches the parts to make a tight shooting pistol. Black powder guns needed some fine tuning!

Really doubt if that were possible. In those days a gun was made by one person and he made the parts to fit, by hand. Another gun, even if the same type and caliber, having it's parts forged by hand, would have lots of small differences preventing them from working when interchanged with another weapon. It either wouldn't fire, or blow up in the person's hand.

RECON22
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 665 posts
Armorama: 652 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2019 - 10:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

1/35th for Western figures ia a little small? Maybe something larger would have been better. The Mexican looks like Tom Selleck? Model companies that are not from America (and even some American) just never look at good sources, or photos of the period.

I disagree David as I am very thankful they are in 1/35 as they are cheaper and more versatile with using other 1/35 scale figures for conversions. 1/32 scale Civil War/ Western figures are mostly in metal which is dearer for shipping (weight) and much more work for conversions. Anyway I'm hoping Masterbox keeps pushing out these lines as it has created a whole new realm for the figure modeller.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2019 - 11:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Interstingly the first box art is showing the Winchester Yellow Boy,which does not correspond with the Rifle cartridge belt around his shoulder. In the next pictures the Yellow Boy is exchanged for what looks like a military style Winchester 1895 which in turn does not correspond with the 1860-1870ish clothing.

I believe that's actually supposed to represent a Henry repeating rifle, which did use a larger round. I think the second CAD rendering (held by the woman) is a Winchester.
VR, Russ
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2019 - 09:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Really doubt if that were possible. In those days a gun was made by one person and he made the parts to fit, by hand. Another gun, even if the same type and caliber, having it's parts forged by hand, would have lots of small differences preventing them from working when interchanged with another weapon. It either wouldn't fire, or blow up in the person's hand.

Read the book American Rifle:a Biography. Though about long guns, it does go into the revolution in machine tooling that was epitomized by Springfield armory in the early 19th century. (And copied by Colt. He wanted government weapons contracts)

Guns like the Colt were factory produced from uniform machining and having easily interchangeable parts was a selling point. Don't want the gun going all ka-blooy when faced with the bad guys and have to find a specific gun Smith to fix it! Get a Colt patent firearms revolver with easily interchangeable parts!
 _GOTOTOP