_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
best 1/35 king tiger
sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 379 posts
Armorama: 150 posts
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2019 - 06:24 PM UTC
So many choices! (and so pages pages searched through on this forum! and google searches...)

Which might be the best 1/35 King Tiger (Tiger II) in Henschel turret or Porsche?

I'm not too familiar with the quality of Hobby Boss, Takom or Meng. I know Dragon makes the Tiger II but maybe these other guys are good quality? (actually not familiar with Dragon's 1/35 Tiger II quality either... I've built one or two of their 1/72 models a decade ago...)

I'm an intermediate modeler, nor looking to kit-bash or modify too much, mostly just add a little bit of PE.

Not looking to build with interior.
Accuracy counts, but build quality and fit win out over super accurate (if that makes sense )
I'd add some PE, and I see some kits like Meng have PE engine screens, etc (not really looking to do the PE tool holder/ water can locking lever thing, my eyes are almost 53!)
Tracks - either a kit with well done tracks or the option to buy AM metal tracks.
I usually spend most of my time nowadays squinting at 1/350 ships, but have the bug to do a nice Tiger II and enjoy the build.
Also - it looks like some of those out there Meng, are below $35 - Don't want to go cheap, but budget is also a consideration.

Thanks for any info!!!

ctkwok
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 197 posts
Armorama: 183 posts
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2019 - 11:30 PM UTC
You are going to get quite a few different answers but the Meng kit is generally well regarded with all round points for accuracy and ease of build as well as great prices. My personal favorite though is Hobbyboss, they are the latest and won points over Meng for accuracy, plus offering metal barrels for henschel variants at an unbelievable lower than Meng prices that seems unfair competition.

There is also the issue you didn't bring up and that is options for zimmerit. MENG has add-on water slide Zim at additional cost which imo is ok, but definitely better than Hobbyboss' included styrene rendered option. Takom and Dragon have kits with molded on zimmerit.
 _GOTOTOP