_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
zimerit pattern on tanks !!!!!!
MATTTOMLIN
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 431 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2004 - 03:13 PM UTC
hey all, i was wondering how do i repereset zimerit pattern on tanks, i have never heard of anyone doing this and wonder how you do.

all help is appreciated

matt
Petro
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 984 posts
Armorama: 846 posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2004 - 03:31 PM UTC
Well, after reading your post about dioramas, i guess the AM way is out of the question.

First, the basic pattern will depend on the tank.
For a panzer IV (or one of it's derivitives), i had some sheet styrene that had small grooves cut in (sorry, i forget what it is called. Something for like HO scale buildings). I cut off a small strip as a spatula. With squadron green or white putty, i applied it to the areas that would have it. Every quarter inch or so give it a little wave to represent the vertical break.
The first time i tried it came out pretty well. At least i was satisfied.
Here is what it looks like.
Stug IV

Oh. You should post this question in the armor forum. You will probably get more replies.
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 385 posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2004 - 06:05 PM UTC
As Petro said, different tanks had different zimmerit patterns. Check your reference photos for the correct pattern(s) for your selected vehicle.
I apply zim using 2-part epoxy putty since it has a fairly long work time. Milliput is the best, but others will work as well. I usually work one armor panel at a time. Whatever type of putty you use, spread it as thin as humanly possible. Once the putty is down, you can use a variety of tools to imprint the pattern on the putty. You can use a narrow flathead screwdriver, a razor saw blade, commercially produced zim pattern applicators, or, one of my favorite tools, an old plastic close-toothed gear from a long forgotten model kit. Whatever tool you use, keep the blade wet or else the putty will stick and muck things up.
There should be plenty of articles on the site dealing with this topic. Just do a search and all the help you need will be right there for you.
Hope this helps!
 _GOTOTOP