_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Panther Ausf. D-Dragon Kit 6164
SpeedyJ
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 1,617 posts
Armorama: 1,150 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2019 - 07:28 PM UTC
Hello all. Decided to build my first Panther. It will be more or less a 'curbside' model of a Panther Ausf. D, but it should look ok with the right arrangement of tools, road wheels, etc.
A little story behind the particular Panther Ausf. D I want to build. It shall be displayed on a SSys flatbed and will be part of a diorama I'm planning.
I'm in no way expert with Panthers or any other tanks, so help is needed.

Will start this kit in November I think, first finish some other business. My physical condition is getting better and I'm able to sit at a desk with no pain, so that is a big plus. Looking forward to this one and your participation with tips and tricks to build a descent Panther Ausf. D.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2019 - 10:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello all. Decided to build my first Panther. It will be more or less a 'curbside' model of a Panther Ausf. D, but it should look ok with the right arrangement of tools, road wheels, etc.
A little story behind the particular Panther Ausf. D I want to build. It shall be displayed on a SSys flatbed and will be part of a diorama I'm planning.
I'm in no way expert with Panthers or any other tanks, so help is needed.

Will start this kit in November I think, first finish some other business. My physical condition is getting better and I'm able to sit at a desk with no pain, so that is a big plus. Looking forward to this one and your participation with tips and tricks to build a descent Panther Ausf. D.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

The Dragon kit offers two types of ventilator fan covers for the engine deck. The spiral pattern grill is more appropriate for a D version (there was another spiral pattern with a more complicated shape seen on very early tanks, but it's only available as a resin aftermarket item).
Tamiya's recent Panther D kit has a mixed set of grills, with one spiral and one radial type, but that was more common on the Ausf. A.
SpeedyJ
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2019 - 11:14 AM UTC
Thanks Gerald.
Kit shows age, there was a major warping on the hull.
Managed to get it straight, (I hope).
Too bad there is no PE in the kit I bought.
What AM manufacturer provides good mesh screen for the engine deck?
I've got an Aber set, but the screens at the rear need to be larger, 4 screens from the set are the same size, so 2 screens don't fit.
Will have to sort that out.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2019 - 05:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Gerald.
Kit shows age, there was a major warping on the hull.
Managed to get it straight, (I hope).
Too bad there is no PE in the kit I bought.
What AM manufacturer provides good mesh screen for the engine deck?
I've got an Aber set, but the screens at the rear need to be larger, 4 screens from the set are the same size, so 2 screens don't fit.
Will have to sort that out.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

Nearly everyone offers photo etch for Panthers, and current sets have screens which are double-etched to appear woven. Of course, if all you want is the screens, rather than a huge detailing set for the entire model, Tamiya offers a set of screens for their recent Ausf D kit. Should fit okay on Dragon's version, almost everybody uses the scale same drawings these days. Tamiya likes to use stainless steel rather than brass, so it takes a strong knife blade or nipper to remove items from the fret, but the parts are robust, and the burrs can be filed without buckling the part, if you file parallel to the edges.
SpeedyJ
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2019 - 10:53 PM UTC
After waking up for the second time this morning, that's what medicine do to me, I found a lot of 'missing' detail. Now it only needs a new barrel.

Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2019 - 12:20 AM UTC
Eduard has released a "zoom" set for the Dragon kit :

https://www.eduard.com/out/media/tp059.pdf

H.P.
 _GOTOTOP