_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Pzkfw IV Zimmerit Question
lone-ronin
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 93 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 - 04:13 PM UTC
I have a question regarding zimmerit for those who are knowledgeable about the Panzer IV. I am working on the old Italeri Panzer IV H, and was wondering if my thoughts are correct for placement on a plain-jane Ausf H. Looking at photos, it appears that zimmerit was applied to the front of the turret and the gun mantlet. The turret shurzen looks like it was treated sometimes as well (common or uncommon feature?). On the front of the hull, it appears that the front slope, top vertical plate, the front of the fenders, and sometimes the lower vertical plate received this treatment. The rear hull looks like the rear plate (sometimes just the top and lower thirds above and below the exhaust) and the fenders were covered. One thing I haven't been able to tell yet is if the lower hull sides were usually coated if the vehicle had the side skirts. Am I tracking correctly so far? Thanks!
d111298pw
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 654 posts
Armorama: 638 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2019 - 02:57 AM UTC
Generally, the lower hull sides had zimmerit applied to them.

The turret schurzen normally had zimmerit as well. In fact, the hull schurzen panels had zimmerit applied when the order was first issued in September 1943. There is a great picture of an Ausf. H in Panzer Tracts 4-3 with this.
ctkwok
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 197 posts
Armorama: 183 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2019 - 04:11 AM UTC
My understanding is that while the upper schurzen often had zimmerit the hull side schurzen often didn't. "Often" isn't absolute. if you want an accurate model you may want to invest a little time in finding references for a vehicle you're going after which takes all the guesswork out.
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2019 - 05:04 AM UTC
The application changed over time.
First version was like you mentioned, including hull and turret skirts, second was without zimm on the hull skirts, and third without zimm on the turret skirts as well.

On The Ausf J, zimm was added to the upper and lower hull sides.

Peko "Pz IV on the battlefield, part 2", by Craig Ellis, is very helpfull on this.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2019 - 05:16 AM UTC
Good shot of ausf H with zimmerit on shurzen
https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/germany/tanks-2-3/panzer-4/panzer-iv-h-ost/

Ausf H with zimmerit on side of upper and lower hull. If you look at edge of fenders it looks like the hull shurzen mounts have been removed leaving marks in paint.
https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/germany/tanks-2-3/panzer4/panzer-iv-ausf-j-62/

Shot of ausf H with zimmerit on turret and hull including shurzen.
https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/germany/tanks-2-3/panzer-iv/russland-sud-panzer-iv-besatzung-2-2/
Nate_W
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 395 posts
Armorama: 391 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2019 - 12:10 PM UTC
Hey lone-ronin. I went through this a couple years back when I made a pair of sister Pz.IV H's for the 21st Panzer Division in Normandy. I spent a year soaking up everything I could on Late-War Pz.IV's. As far as the Zimm locations go, OKW issued the directive in December of 1943 but records indicate factory applications beginning in late August-early September of '43, 4 months earlier. The guide I've adopted is that full zimm application coincides with the arrival of the improved side skirts with triangular brackets on the Ausf H, and end about when flame dampening exhausts on the Ausf. J are introduced.

Nibelungenwerke AG in St.Valentin produced the majority of the H's but Krupp-Gruson AG in Magdeburg and Vomag AG in Plauen also made them. Each factory had their own little accents and quirks and this includes with their zimmerit applications. Some included zimm on fenders during certain runs and others did not. Some included the armored gun sight cover, lower glacis and schurzen and others did not, and some did at certain time then quit. Lots of little things like that and side hull zimm is no exception. When it comes to side hull zimm, I believe Nibelungenwerke applied it to the hull sides and lower glacis plates during the mid and late production runs. I also seem to remember reading that it began to be factory applied once it was realised just how hard march and combat ops were on Schurzen. As it became more evident that schurzen plates would be banged up, bent, and often blown or ripped off, the idea and practice of applying the zimm to the now exposed hull and turret was born. I also have seen obvious field applied jobs done on lower hull sides, probably after the schurzen had failed. All of this ended around October 1944, however, in later months It wasn't uncommon to see veteran H's, J's and even a few Nibelungenwerke refurbed Ausf G's with it, (if you can believe that). Because of the location of lower hull zimm, it was often caked with mud and debris then chipped and knocked off during marches or cleaning. I've seen a lot of pics with small barely visible patches on the lower hull. It was one of those things, that after October '44 crews didn't care about it anymore and there were far more pressing maintenance issues. left over patched of it look good too. You may consider doing that, if there will be lots of mud or debris in your running gear. Best of Luck!
lone-ronin
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 93 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2019 - 02:40 PM UTC
Thanks. This sorta gives me a starting point...who knew zimmerit was so complicated. LOL I appreciate all the help. Patrick, that website you linked to is awesome! I had not heard of it before.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2019 - 07:45 PM UTC
There are a lot of hidden gems in there and they don't watermark their photos like a lot of other sites do.
 _GOTOTOP