_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Ironside Kits, any opinions?
swampfox
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 52 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2002 - 11:59 AM UTC
I just bought an Ironside kit of the Flammpanzer II, SDkfz 122 at a model show for $25.00. an unbelievable price for a multimedia kit. I was just wondering how Ironside kits are having never built one before. I know Maquette makes an injection molded kit of this vehicle, how does it compare to that? did I end up with a good deal?
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 793 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2002 - 05:02 PM UTC
Generally the Ironsides kits, require a bit of work, but less then say Eastern European kits. There has been some speculation in the past that certain parts are vacuform copy overs. Hey what the heck, you wanted a hot piece of armour and now have one. Be sure to photograph 0in progress, a multi media build would approach new techniques and be of interest to everyone, I'm certain.

Jack in search of the philosophers stone.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2002 - 10:36 PM UTC
The Ironside kit I saw and inquired about was the M-67 flame tank. It was basically the Tamiya M48A3 with the resin flame gun and individual tracks links. There were a few other additions to the basic Tamiya kit.
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2002 - 12:37 AM UTC
i have 4 of various quality, ranging from excellent to waste of money. so it depends on the subject and how much you are willing to spend
desert_fox
Visit this Community
Estonia
KitMaker: 10 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2002 - 05:49 AM UTC
I don't know about Ironside but Maquette sucks big time
I have managed to buy 4 of them and three of them were total waste. Fourth one is waiting still in box.
swampfox
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 52 posts
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2002 - 06:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't know about Ironside but Maquette sucks big time
I have managed to buy 4 of them and three of them were total waste. Fourth one is waiting still in box.

That's what I was wondering. Looking at the Ironside kit, I would almost swear it's a copy of the Azimut kit. What I do like is it has injection molded tracks, link by link and injection molded road wheels. The turret, hull, muffler, guns and smoke grenage dischargers are resin, wth only the drive spockets and idler wheels being white metal. Looks like it was definately a better buy than getting the Maquette kit.
 _GOTOTOP