_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
M577 interior
Maddux
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2002 - 02:25 PM UTC
I'm thinking of converting my Academy M113 to a M577. I was wondering whaat the M577 looked like on the inside. I figure the driver's compartment is the same but what about the rear area?
Thanks
Vince
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 793 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2002 - 04:56 PM UTC
Why not use the Tamiya M577 kit as a base instead??

Jack Simpleton #:-)
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 876 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2002 - 05:59 AM UTC
As for photos get a copy of verlinden's M113 book "warmachines 01"
stavka2000
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 120 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2002 - 08:01 AM UTC
Hi,

I'd also suggest that you read the Verlinden Warmachines book. As for what is actually in there, it depends greatly on the mission the M577 is to do. I remember seeing towels hanging in one that was in an artillery battery

Good luck,
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2002 - 09:00 AM UTC
The rear compartment is very much like the standard M113. Of course the sides are higher and there are more radio racks than the one on the left side(behind driver). The right side usually has locally made map boards (made of plywood/plexiglass) with graphics posted and the like. Most of the wood on the map boards is painted gray, the maps are taped up and the plexiglass is covering the maps. I've seen some 577s with fancy made maps that slide back and forth on rails.

As Iwan says, the set up of the rear area depends on what the M577's purpose is. In the armor battalion, there are several. One is the S-3 Tactical Operations Center, another is the S-2 Intelligence center. Also co-located with those two is the field artillery's Fire Support Officer's M577. The three will park end-to-end in sort of a "T" formation and their TOC extensions (canvas tents) will be connected. These 3 will also have lots of tables, chairs (folding metal), map boards, radios, light sets (bunch of light bulbs on black rubberized wire) crammed in the back.

Two other M577s in an armor battalion are the S-4 (Logistics) and S-1 (Personnel). These are not as packed full of equipment and will have a map board between the two of them and each will have a pair of radios. They co-locate and together are referred to as the Combat Trains Command Post (CTCP), it was formerly known as the A/LOC or Admin/Log(istics) Operations Center. They will be more static and supply and personnel losses will be handled here.

Two more M577s are the ambulance platoon's treatment center. This will often be where the CTCP is located and will have the battalion surgeon (a captain who is a doctor). It is also referred to as the aid station. These will have stretchers and various medical supplies, patients, etc. in the back. They may be together or separate.

The last M577 in an armor battalion is the mortar platoon's Fire Direction Center (FDC). This one will have a map board and radio rack and control the 6 120mm M1064 mortar tracks.

So, as you can see, even in one unit, the M577s will vary in use, location and activity.

As far as a kit, the Tamiya M577 is basically the same as their M113 with an extension that sits on the top of the hull, no interior though. I can test fit it for you, but I would assume that it would be a very easy swap to fit it on the top of the standard Academy M113 kit.

I don't have an M577 at work, so I can take any photos for you. I can't recommend a book, but I did just win the Warmachines book on eBay for $7 (+$2.50 s/h) and have not yet received it.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2002 - 06:42 PM UTC
Rob,
that's very interesting info. Some understanding of operational practices make it easier and more fun to make a model/diorama.

I saw the M577 pics in Warmachines. There's only a few, but they still offer more info than everything I could find on the internet combined (I surfed around several nights to find good pics when I was scratching the M577 !)
Maybe there's a few left on my harddisk at home (was that before or after the Big Crash ?).
If there are any, I'll post them.

Jan
 _GOTOTOP