_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
How do you display your models?
webfoots
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 94 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 10:36 AM UTC
I was looking for ideas on how to display my rapidly growing armor collection. What do most of you do with your completed projects?

I've been thinking of using approx 1' round pieces of wood as a base covered with the appropriate ground covering under the AFV. Then placing each in a glass shelving unit. Should look nice but wouldn't mind seeing how others choose to display their works of art...
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 10:42 AM UTC
You're going to get responses all over the place. Personally, I've got an array of display types. Some sitting on shelves, some on bases (plain no ground work), some on vignette type bases, some full dioramas.
I don't have any dedicated shelves, but would love to have a glass enclosed case to display them. Keeps out dust.

One thing I do - take lots of photos. I know way down deep inside that they may deteriorate and go to the great model space in the sky the photos will always be there.
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 902 posts
Armorama: 628 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 12:43 PM UTC
Some of my finished kits end up on bases with ground cover, others are stored in boxes made by a company called IMEX. They are stackable and seal out the dust. I secure each model inside with a bolt thru the bottom. The boxes are clear plastic tops and black bases. I am able to use my P touch labler to mark each vehical as to type unit and location. Best is NO DUST.
Scunge
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 254 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 03:24 PM UTC
Most of mine just end up in my closet. There really aren't any that I really want to display yet, so I just store them there.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 04:46 PM UTC
As said before some go on a simple base, some no base at all some in a full dio . But take care not to superglue the ones on simple bases in case you wanna include them is some future dios. Glasses shelves is bless towards the dust protection
blank
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 190 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 08:11 PM UTC
Well, at the moment, all the work I see as fit for display is sitting on top of my monitor... My LHS recently took stock of some small display cases, I'm still debating whether they're worth it or not. They're about $8, but pretty small... In any case I have NO IDEA how to build one of my own, I am trying to get ahold of a glass cabinet to stick everything in though
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 11:26 PM UTC
Some are on dioramas, some on 'plain ground cover' bases, and some without bases in a cabinet. It really depends on the model and the ( rapidly decreasing) space available .
BudOne
Visit this Community
Ireland
KitMaker: 16 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 12:20 AM UTC
The main thing is to keep the dust off - I built a display case out of some off-cuts of tongue & groove flooring (top, bottom and sides and painted with wood stain) with MDF back and shelves and a sheet of clear perspex on the front (it's much lighter and cheaper than glass). I painted the inside black but a neutral grey might have been better. I'm hopeless with wood work and it isn't pretty enough to be allowed in the house but it's hanging on the wall in the garage where I keep most of my toys anyway. And it keeps the dust away.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 12:50 AM UTC
Custom built (by me)....Some might be tired of seeing this photo as this topic has coime up before...

Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 791 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 02:45 PM UTC
I had the unfortunate luck to work in a gas station for a time, though with the fortunate oppritunity to buy two 2'x4' glass cigar display cases from my boss with a shelf in each. They are made with sliding glass doors and fit about ten tanks in each.
ladyin, huh?
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 711 posts
Armorama: 157 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 08:09 PM UTC
Mine are just sitting on a set of shelves in my place. Nothing under them or dioramas with them (I haven't quite gotten to that point yet!). Unfortunately, they're not covered and need dusting about every month or so, but I use a cheap women's make-up brush for that.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 04:53 AM UTC
I build a few heavy duty utility shelves in one of my rooms. The dios sit on the the upper shelf about 4 feet up while the individual tanks are on the two shelves below. I also have display cases in my office room and another open el cheapo book case typ piece of furniture filled with indivudual tanks.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, April 09, 2004 - 01:04 AM UTC
Last year I bought a billy bookcase from IKEA. 2 doors with glass panels can be bought to suit this as well. It comes in a range of finishes to suit most rooms. Cost 1200 sek or $150 max. About the price of 1 tamiya model, PE, tracks and barrel. If you spend months building kits an cherish your work, this bookshelf is well worth the price. Dust free and adds to any living room. Its great when people come over they can see my work.
It has 6 shelves and holds all my work from the last 3 years,
pod123
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 187 posts
Posted: Friday, April 09, 2004 - 11:18 PM UTC
hi, i had the idea sometime ago of using a fish tank to display my models and to make dio,s in they keep out dust and fingers and look good i have a couple pics in my gallery
 _GOTOTOP