_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Cullin Hedgerow cutter and Brit Shermans etc
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 02:06 PM UTC
Hi All
can anyone tell me if the British army used the Cullin hedgerow cutter on their Shermans and M10's?
TIA
Pete
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 04:20 PM UTC
It wouldn't surprise me if some units tried them, but I don't think I've aver seen any photos of one installed on a British Sherman. I have read that they liked to use Churchill Crocodiles to set the hedges on fire -- kind of made anyone hiding in the hedgerow want to be elsewhere, as well
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 719 posts
Armorama: 566 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 05:43 PM UTC
Super question Pete....

When we discussed this in chat I was hoping that Hollowpoint would chime in :-)

I was under the impression that the Brits had fewer hedge "issues" than the US forces did, as they were more on the edge of the hedge country to begin with.

Perhaps I am all wet... I don't know...

Great question...

Later-
Jeff
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 07:16 PM UTC
hi,

they were used, just not in very large numbers,

as has already been mentioned, pictures are almost impossible to come by.
jr is correct in saying that much of the british side of the beachhead was open countryside, so there was less need for them.

also churchills tended to be the tanks fighting close alongside infantry and they didnt need any help getting through hedges!

tamiyas cromwell includes a cullins device, ive got three spare, that i will probably add to shermans

cheers

joe
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 12:06 AM UTC
Oy Joe! I forgot all about the Cromwell "prong" -- man, I relly need to do myself a favor and get a couple of those Tamiya Cromwell kits!

Like Jeff, I was always under the impression that the British had fewer hedgerow "issues" than U.S. forces -- or at least had a different way of dealing with them.

I did a little more digging and found a photo of a Firefly with a Cullin device in Squadron's "D-Day to Berlin" book, page 53 -- a vehicle also very heavily laden with Hessian tape!
 _GOTOTOP