_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Mointain Diorama UPDATE
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2002 - 05:59 PM UTC
Hi folks,

At last I got my airbrush working and yesterday I have painted my first dio.

next step is to ad a wash, drybrush and using pastels, but I am already very pleased with the result.

Originally I was using a Nemrod figure as the driver so I could even use a light snowfall, but the figure does not fit, so I have ordered the Verlinden Jeep Riders set (only the driver will be used).

Eeeh, I need ye opinion, does the dio look to empty? I mean, it is only rocks, sand and grass, could I still put some bushes in the scene or is it to late, how should I make them?

http://groups.msn.com/Roadkillsplace/takethehighwaytheysaid.msnw?albumlist=2

Any comments are welcome. :-)
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2002 - 06:16 PM UTC
I think it looks great!
It's never too late to add a little more to it. I use "real" tree or brush branches for dio use. Look around outside for some thin branches. You could even use the roots from a little, little tree or a large weed. Just pull it out of the ground and check out the root structure. Leaves could be added with some spices or tea leaves.
You could place these new trees in the rock crevices.
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 793 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2002 - 06:44 PM UTC
I had to chack to make sure the rock work had been painted, you did such an effective job that they looked natural, Bravo. I think a few scattered greenery items laced in among the rocks would add impact, sort of moss and lichen etc. I gather these off the wall of the nearby church (not for any specific theological reasons), and lay them out on Newspaper to dry. This way any uninvited house guests usually go their own way;, before I bring them inside. A good harvest can lserve you for well over a years worth of projects.

Captain Jack's International Flora Control Service
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2002 - 07:42 PM UTC
Hi,

Could I use Sea Foam for making scrubs and small trees? I have a whole box and I want to try using it for the first time
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2002 - 08:03 PM UTC
Yes, but I wold suggest preshading the stuff, especially if it is flourescent!! By the way did you know that this stuff grows wild in Lappland!! Mind you it'd be a hell of a trip just to pick up some sea foam!! Just another curious snippet from Jacks strange tales of the North.

Jack
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2002 - 08:30 PM UTC
Now I know my next Holliday location #:-) #:-) #:-) #:-)
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2002 - 01:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

you did such an effective job that they looked natural

I second this one !!! Look very good Road!
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2002 - 05:53 PM UTC
You are doing well with this difficult topography!
Itīs worth the time spent when an ambitious project starts getting its shape...
Many times itīs the most interesting thing to see the "path" that leads to the result, with all the try-outs, accidents, developing ideas and the "crossroads" during the project. I learn from this kind of stuff the most!
Looking good Roadkill, I also like the Shermie...

Toni
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2002 - 07:53 PM UTC
Very Nice job Ronny. As an Old model railroader I like your rocks molds or real? May I make a suggestion on the rocks I know they must sell latex mold compound in Europe go to a good mountain area equiped with gauze and couple of brushes plus water to clean brushes to you get home .Spread mold compound on rock after brushing dirt away from area and maybe a good spray bottle filled with water if really dirty allow to dry a little and brush latex on the rock thin first 1 or 2 coats. apply heavier 3 coat thru 5 coat and finsh with one coat of gauze and one coat to seal it . allow to dry remove and take home to apply more coats if you want to make it stronger. In summer time from 1st coat to last coat about 2 hours. I have molds I made 15 years ago still good and use them for dios mostly dinosaurs. This way you can cast Large rocks in big areas.
Check out the enclosed picture of what I am saying
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/1015/dol18.jpg
In other words I guess I am into large rocks instead of a lot of smaller ones gives more of the impression of the great size of mountains
Coffee Time
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2002 - 10:47 PM UTC
Hi again,

I have put 4 new pictures in my album about the dio

http://groups.msn.com/Roadkillsplace/takethehighwaytheysaid.msnw?albumlist=2

Look at page 2!

Sorry to say they are not very sharp :-(

I have added some Sea Foam and Island Moss to the scene to create vegetation and to give the expression of a bewildered mountain region.

I like scenes that force the viewer to get into the scene, to look at the story and not to get the whole idea in one quick view, does that make scene for a dio?

Could this work or have I overdone it?

Mind you, the trees and moss bushes still have to bee coated using herbs and to be painted so they will look fuller when ready.

Any comments are as always welcome
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2002 - 03:02 AM UTC
Bravo, Roadkill!
Thereīs a pearl shaping...
I was about to comment about the trees blocking the sight, especially when you add the leaves, then I read your post to the end. I think you got a point there! To get the viewer in the scene you can also do some delecant "framing"...You could build the scene in a way that it offers multiple "windows" between trees to show a detail or action you want to point out!
Just a thought...
That nature of yours really rocks!!!

Toni
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2002 - 03:26 AM UTC
I'd say pull the middle guy, and stick him toward the rear. There is a little too much "balance" in the composition. Remember if I'm wierd it's natures fault.

Jackology on the run
 _GOTOTOP