_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Future vs Set and Sol
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2002 - 06:01 PM UTC
Hi,

I read a lot of using future for sealing the decals, does this mean that you don't need to use Set and Sol (wich I don't have)?

#:-)
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2002 - 06:26 PM UTC
I would recomend that you use both. The setting solutions like Micro's Set and or Sol are used for "sitting" the decal to the model's surface. These types of products "melt" the decal so it can conform to all types of difficult and not-so-difficult sufaces. It helps the decal to look as if it been painted on.
Products like Future are used for "sealing" the model. It adds a "protective" cover to it. Also used as a "pre"-wash surfacer, and before you apply the decals. A smooth surface helps the decals sit without producing trapped air bubbles. It helps to get the wash to run in the panels lines and such. Since it leaves a glossy surface, use a clear matt over it "dull" it down...unless of course you desire the gloss finish.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2002 - 10:51 PM UTC
Use the gloss coat and then the Set and Sol. I would only use the Micro Sol if you're trying to make a decal conform around something, otherwise it tends to wrinkle the decal. At least, that's what happens to me, I usually just use Micro Set.

Nic
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2002 - 12:05 AM UTC
Must I realy use set (and/or Sol)??

I mean, I don't have it and I can't seem to get it localy, my hobby shop does not have it in stock :-(

Sundown
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 67 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2002 - 01:30 AM UTC
You don't have to use it if you can't get your hands on it. It just would have helped it stick on better. But you should probably use the future to avoid the 'silvering' (oh! it's a decal!) look.

salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 574 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2002 - 01:34 AM UTC
Use vinegar, it'll do the same thing. Might have to thin it with water. Remember to test before you use this on a prize winner.

Quoted Text

Must I realy use set (and/or Sol)??

I mean, I don't have it and I can't seem to get it localy, my hobby shop does not have it in stock :-(

Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2002 - 07:33 AM UTC
Vinegar?

In stead of water for soaking the decals or after I placed them on the model??? Never would have thought about using vinegar
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 574 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2002 - 08:35 AM UTC
Vinegar works like sol-set. Use it to snuggle the decals down. Then seal them with your choice of sealer.

Old trick I read about years ago. YMMV
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2002 - 03:06 PM UTC
If you get a bottle of micro set and open it, you will think its a bottle of vinager. Not as strong smelling as normal vinager but you can tell its a major part of its makup by the smell.
Army
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 96 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 02:27 PM UTC
I find that 50% water and 50% vinegar works great for me..But test it on a scrap model first and then add more water or vinegar until you find the right mix
 _GOTOTOP