Hosted by Darren Baker
Sheridan turret baskets
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 - 11:18 AM UTC
Looking for some pic of 11 Cav Vietnam Sheridans, specifically the the turret basket. Only photos I have found are of one side only. An all around view would be great. Thanks.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 - 12:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking for some pic of 11 Cav Vietnam Sheridans, specifically the the turret basket. Only photos I have found are of one side only. An all around view would be great. Thanks.

Are you looking for a specific track? If not, what you ask for is a pretty general request, which has as many answers as there were Sheridans in Vietnam. If you consider other than the original issue cargo rack, virtually all other cargo racks were basically one-offs until the early 1980s when a specific design was adopted. In Vietnam, the Troop might have had them made up from plans developed in-country by the unit motor sergeant, or even by individual crews. Even then, cargo racks often varied between Squadron and within Troop sized units. I recommend an image search on-line, or consulting one of the books on the subject. David Doyle's "Legends of Warfare" series on the Sheridan has many photos of Vietnam tracks, and may be a good place to start. Here's my review for Kitmaker Network:
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/14712
VR, Russ
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 - 12:14 PM UTC
I was looking for a specific unit not necessarily a specific track. In particular what ever unit of the 11 Cav that that had the name of their tracks, Sheridans an 113s in red. Can't remember the specific unit designation though other than they were part of the 11 Cav. I'll have to check if I have a book on the Sheridan.

Thanks.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 - 02:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I was looking for a specific unit not necessarily a specific track. In particular what ever unit of the 11 Cav that that had the name of their tracks, Sheridans an 113s in red. Can't remember the specific unit designation though other than they were part of the 11 Cav. I'll have to check if I have a book on the Sheridan.

Thanks.

I'm not an expert on all the aspects of the 11th during Vietnam (but I did serve there for 4 years 76-80) and many of the folks I served with were VN vets. I don't think any particular sub-unit exclusively used red as an identifier-- it was likely used across all three Squadrons in some form or another. Just a point I'd make when referring to the Sheridan-- it was always called "a track" by its crews-- it was never intended as a tank (it's an AARV), so there is often a lot of confusion in terminology between the M113 and the M551 when referred to by outsiders (non Cavalry folks). But as far as Cavalry Troopers go, it was a "track"-- this is not directed at you, but it might help clarify to others what we mean when we describe the Sheridan as a "track". Perhaps some 11th Cav Vietnam vets have some additional info on the colors. As to the cargo racks-- there were some units that did have a "standard rack" designed/constructed at unit level (mostly by Troop), but these racks were really still largely thrown together from materials on hand like angle iron and fencing or diamond grating.
VR, Russ
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 - 02:37 PM UTC
Thanks for the input guys. And Russ thanks for the clarification on the terminology and proper use of tracks when referring to the Sheridan
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2019 - 01:47 AM UTC
These tanks belong to ‘G’ Troop., 2/11th ACR :

From this page :

http://www.eaglehorse.org/home_station/hidden_stories/70s/M551/sheridan_m551.htm#Part_4:_The_Battle_Joined:_Vietnam,_the_Eaglehorse_and_the_Sheridan

H.P.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2019 - 04:01 AM UTC
Yep, thanks Frenchy! Excellent Sheridan resource, I had no idea this site existed! I knew several of the commenters personally, including Sperry, Clint Anker, and my Squadron Commander, Don Conrad. I did find an error though, in a photo caption about the turn-in of the Sheridan's in E Troop in 1978-- that actually didn't occur until late 79 and early 1980, I know as I was the Squadron transition officer, having served in H company (M60A1s), F Troop (as a Sheridan Platoon Leader) and in 79-80 as the interim Squadron S4 (when the A3s were coming in). But, back to the original posted photos, as you can see, no two Vietnam turret baskets look exactly alike, although there are similarities in construction. Even in the same Troop. Golf Troop was in Second Squadron (G 2/11 ACR).
VR, Russ
 _GOTOTOP