_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
wire periscope guards m4a3
praggio
KitMaker: 57 posts
Armorama: 55 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2019 - 09:07 PM UTC
Hi, another sherman question for the experts. On the m4a3 late, were the wire periscope guards used on the turret periscopes, including the one on the commanders split hatch, or only on the large hatches at the front (drivers etc). It would save me a lot of work if not all m4a3 late shermans had these at all, (what a pain to install them), but I fear this is not the case. Kind regards, Paul
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2019 - 03:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi, another sherman question for the experts. On the m4a3 late, were the wire periscope guards used on the turret periscopes, including the one on the commanders split hatch, or only on the large hatches at the front (drivers etc). It would save me a lot of work if not all m4a3 late shermans had these at all, (what a pain to install them), but I fear this is not the case. Kind regards, Paul

All the rotating periscopes had the guards installed, including the one on the split hatch. By the time of the large hatch Shermans it was a factory installed fitting. However, if there was repair work on the tank, things could be left off.
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2019 - 07:57 AM UTC
Periscope guards came in in mid 43 (?) , I think with the applique armor, bed roll rack and new model TC's sight. Also, I think that was when the solid cover for the gunner's periscope came in. Best bet is look around here. http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/index.html
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2019 - 12:02 PM UTC
I read somewhere that periscope brush guards on ALL Shermans were only installed in preparation for the Normandy invasion. They were to guard against the expected undergrowth and Bocage country.
 _GOTOTOP