_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya Sd Kfz 7
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2019 - 03:56 PM UTC
I've looked around but can't find any reviews on the old Tamiya Sd Kfz 7 atillery tractor.
Is itgood? Bad? Indifferent?
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2019 - 04:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've looked around but can't find any reviews on the old Tamiya Sd Kfz 7 atillery tractor.
Is itgood? Bad? Indifferent?

It came out 46 years ago. Chassis details are simplified. Tracks are the wrong width, and are vinyl strips detailed on the outside surface only. The crew figures are all identical seated mannikins. There are aftermarket sets that will dress it up, but you'd end up spending less on one of the more modern Chinese kits, which have indie link tracks and photoetch already in the box.
Nate_W
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 395 posts
Armorama: 391 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2019 - 09:30 PM UTC
I’d have to agree with Gerald on this.

Years ago when I was researching Sd.Kfz.7 kits to go with an 8.8cm Flak 36, I looked into the Tamiya one and all I could find were the photos of the sprues and some completed photos, but that was enough to deter me. The kit is just very old and the parts are very dull with a lot of accuracy issues. Issues with dimensions and detail mostly. I’m pretty particular about my builds but to even get this one presentable; IMO, you’d need, tracks, road wheels, front wheels/tires, headlight, new grill, instrument decals as well as PE details like tool clamps, gear shifters, pedals, and grab handles etc. it just wouldn’t be worth it unless it was going to a young builder with a budding interest in German softskins. I really liked the Dragon 7’s that came out over the past decade a lot.
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2019 - 10:22 PM UTC

"you’d need, tracks, road wheels, front wheels/tires, headlight, new grill, instrument decals as well as PE details like tool clamps, gear shifters, pedals, and grab handles etc." In other words, pull the radiator cap off and put a new vehicle under it. I'll have to look into the Dragon and Trumpy.
steel_tiger1
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 35 posts
Armorama: 34 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2020 - 02:41 AM UTC
The Trumpeter one is to long if I remember correctly. The Dragon is the best detailed and more accurate but never came with the canvas top.
goldnova72
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2020 - 02:48 AM UTC
IRC the first version Sd Kfz 7 Tamiya released ( 1974 ? ) had a motor and space under the hull for batteries , so the all plastic kit is based off that . No wonder much of the detail is soft or dare I say toy like . But back in the day , it was all we had , and there were some awesome models built from that kit
redcap
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2020 - 03:06 AM UTC
As others have said, the ancient Tamiya kit has long been surpassed by the kits offered by Trumpeter and even more so by DML; however the latter to my knowledge never did the artillery towing vehicle only the versions with flak guns(?)

Spending lots of money on AM for the Tamiya kit like etched metal sets, resin and Friul tracks etc. is simply an exercise in 'polishing a t**d'

Gary
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2020 - 03:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

"you’d need, tracks, road wheels, front wheels/tires, headlight, new grill, instrument decals as well as PE details like tool clamps, gear shifters, pedals, and grab handles etc." In other words, pull the radiator cap off and put a new vehicle under it. I'll have to look into the Dragon and Trumpy.

Funny you say that...I've got a good-'ol-boy friend that frequents the Corvette/Muscle car shop where the mechanic, myself, and a few others are damn good friends, and when we see a car that requires too much work, we usually label it as: "a radiator cap looking for a new car"!
Nate_W
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 395 posts
Armorama: 391 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2020 - 09:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As others have said, the ancient Tamiya kit has long been surpassed by the kits offered by Trumpeter and even more so by DML; however the latter to my knowledge never did the artillery towing vehicle only the versions with flak guns

Dragon actually did manage to get the arty tractors out. They did the initial, early, late and Typ HL m11. All can be used appropriately to tow the 88mm flak 18,36,37, 41, and the 15cm Schwere Feldhaubitze 18. There’s more they can and did tow gun wise IRL. They were expensive but highly valued and since they were incredibly handy, they were made to pull anything that could fit on or hitch to it, especially during breakouts and retreats later in the war.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2020 - 11:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Trumpeter one is too long if I remember correctly. The Dragon is the best detailed and more accurate but never came with the canvas top.

Both brands have their issues. As you point out, the Dragon kits omit the tarp (even a folded one), and have simplified interior details. The Trumpeter kit is longer by a few millimeters, and builds up very nicely.

Here is my very first of nearly 300 Armorama reviews which ironically is of the Trumpeter Sd.Kfz.7.
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2020 - 01:17 PM UTC
The tarp is not an issue in my book. Am planning building a South African one conerted into a recovery vehicle. Was leaning towards the Tamiya because it's cheap, relatively speaking , so If I bollocks it up ....
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2020 - 06:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The tarp is not an issue in my book. Am planning building a South African one converted into a recovery vehicle. Was leaning towards the Tamiya because it's cheap, relatively speaking , so If I bollocks it up ....

Up to you, of course. For me, the tracks are totally unacceptable, and if you factor in the cost of an aftermarket set, there go the savings.
Chepster
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 38 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2020 - 06:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The tarp is not an issue in my book. Am planning building a South African one conerted into a recovery vehicle. Was leaning towards the Tamiya because it's cheap, relatively speaking , so If I bollocks it up ....

That seems a reasonable plan. If it works out well, you could always re-do it with one of the more expensive kits.

I have 2 of the Tamiya kits in my stash from 20 odd years ago waiting to be built. In spite of how "unacceptable" they are, I'll be building then pretty much straight from the box just for fun quick, cheap builds to practise my emerging airbrushing "skills" on.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2020 - 07:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The tarp is not an issue in my book. Am planning building a South African one converted into a recovery vehicle. Was leaning towards the Tamiya because it's cheap, relatively speaking , so If I bollocks it up ....

Up to you, of course. For me, the tracks are totally unacceptable, and if you factor in the cost of an aftermarket set, there go the savings.

Plenty of heavy weathering of the tracks could "save" them but I don't know how much heavy mud there would be in the operational area for that recovery vehicle ...

/ Robin
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2020 - 08:33 PM UTC
"I don't know how much heavy mud there would be in the operational area for that recovery vehicle ..." . Northern Italy. First photo I saw of it was it un sticking a mired M3 scout car.

bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2020 - 06:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The tarp is not an issue in my book.

Why bother with wheels, then? Imagine sitting in the Russian sun or under a cloudburst on the Steppes with no covering? Sorry, show me photos (other than in the factory) of these vehicles without a top. I could be wrong (I have been before), but....

You asked about the kit. It's a piece of [auto-censored]e by today's standards. If you're OK with that, then why did you ask us in the first place?

The Tamiya kit actually HAS a top (not a very good one, but a top). It's the Dragon kits that don't. If price matters and you want a better kit, I recommend the Trumpeter. The one with the fewest fit issues is probably the Dragon (the Trumpeter drive sprocket is not quite correct).

And if you suspect I'm a little annoyed, you'd be correct. When questions get posted and then the questioner basically says "none of that matters," then it makes us feel like we're wasting our time.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2020 - 06:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The tarp is not an issue in my book.

Why bother with wheels, then? Imagine sitting in the Russian sun or under a cloudburst on the Steppes with no covering? Sorry, show me photos (other than in the factory) of these vehicles without a top. I could be wrong (I have been before), but....

I think Timothy is aiming for this vehicle:

The rearmost bench-seat could be loaded up with a folded tarp but that would have to be scratched since it isn't a raised tarp and it is not a tarp folded down complete with bows and other support structures.

The tarp is not raised in this wartime image, I think it is folded down beneath all the luggage at the rear, the bows and support structure are barely visible in front of that light coloured box.

A properly folded one without a lot of luggage looks like this
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2020 - 08:37 AM UTC
Thank you Robin. Yes, the first photo you posted is the SA rig (14 Armd Div 2nd Line Transport Workshop under command of 6 SA Armd Div HQ.) I'm pondering. Mr. Cross. I would suggest in the future read ALL of the thread before commenting. I WAS aware that the Trumpy and Dragon kits were the ones with out tarps. And I said it was a moot point for the project I have planned. As far as I know the Russian Steppes do not extend to Italy, nor were the South Africans in Russia. AND I did not SAY I was "OK with that". I said that I was LEANING towards using the "cheap" Tamiya kit BUT from the observations would have to look into the other two. So, please go finish sleeping of your New Year's drunk .... and Happy New Year.
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2020 - 09:16 AM UTC
I read the thread. I used the Steppes image to suggest why a tarp missing is such a serious issue despite your post. You still don't quite get why I might be peeved at your posts, so we'll leave it there.
 _GOTOTOP