_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya Jagdpanther suspension
griffontech
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 237 posts
Armorama: 231 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2020 - 08:39 AM UTC
Hey all.
I am building Tamiya's 1/35 Jagdpanther Late Version and am about to install the road wheel swing arms.
The swing arm attachment pieces (the part that gets inserted into the lower hull) are cone shaped, and have no set position for their attachment. I guess Tamiya did this so the arms can be glued slightly raised or lowered to mimic a working suspension.
I want a simple level suspension.
My question is this: At what angle should the arms be positioned for a level suspension? I took a look at some photos and the kits painting guide, and it seems that when viewed from the side the wheel hub side of the swing arm sits about level with the bottom armor edge.
Is this correct?

Thanks
griffontech
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2020 - 08:57 AM UTC
Never mind. Just noticed there are small locating pins on the hull side...
sinsling
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 86 posts
Armorama: 85 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2020 - 06:50 PM UTC
Hi Dave,
Yes, you noticed the locating pins. Using them gives you pretty much a factory sit, with fresh torsion bars. However, in reality these beasts were actually considerably heavier than originally spec'd, so the suspension and drive train were almost constantly under heavy strain. What I do is remove the pins and sit the swing arms such that their lowest point lies flush with the hull bottom floor plate. This will help you avoid that athletic springy look you will end up with if you follow the instructions and locating pins, and instead have that heavy, tired look so typical of the German late war big cats. Just a thought for your consideration. Good luck!

Cheers,
Johannan
griffontech
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2020 - 11:21 PM UTC
Oh.....well....darn....
Just glued them into place last night. Thanks for the input though.
 _GOTOTOP