_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Meng: Willys MB
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2020 - 01:20 PM UTC

Meng Model offers its new kit to fans of this ubiquitous WWII-era vehicle.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
armyguy
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 262 posts
Armorama: 150 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2020 - 02:45 PM UTC
Wow in a short time we have been graced with three 1/35 scale Jeep and two 1/16 scale Jeeps I think Tamiya's is in for some competition if Meng's is any thing like Takom's release. The few pics don't show much. I do see Meng has made the same mistake every one that releases a Jeep kit does they forgot the bracing on the inside of the tub. I'm still holding out for a new one in 1/24 scale or 1/16 scale in plastic. The 1/16 one released in resin is a little to rich for my blood.
MrCompletely
Visit this Community
Saitama-ken, Japan / 日本
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2020 - 03:15 PM UTC
I was just about to shell out for 2 or 3 Tamiya's to put in the stash, but this looks better; so if the price isn't too much more, I'll get Meng instead I think. Being in Japan Tamiya's cheapest for me, but Meng's affordable.
southpier
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 546 posts
Armorama: 316 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2020 - 04:13 PM UTC
nice. I think the Meng kits are well done and this looks to be no exception.
Kornbeef
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Armorama: 48 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2020 - 09:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow in a short time we have been graced with three 1/35 scale Jeep and two 1/16 scale Jeeps I think Tamiya's is in for some competition if Meng's is any thing like Takom's release. The few pics don't show much. I do see Meng has made the same mistake every one that releases a Jeep kit does they forgot the bracing on the inside of the tub. I'm still holding out for a new one in 1/24 scale or 1/16 scale in plastic. The 1/16 one released in resin is a little to rich for my blood.

Agreed the tub framework is one thing I'd hoped they would replicate. Also I would have hoped the bonnet and screen catches would have been moulded seperately. I'd like to see it against the Old Tamiya kit just to see what the real differences are though.

Keith
Charby
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 78 posts
Armorama: 78 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2020 - 01:24 AM UTC
I already have a Tamiya (oversimplified) and a Bronco (overengineered) kit in the stash, neither of which have replicated the windshield "stay-up" latches or the braces for the M31C pedestal mount.

Still, I was hesitant to get the Takom kit, but I might commit to the Meng offering if the price and engineering are OK.
armyguy
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2020 - 04:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I already have a Tamiya (oversimplified) and a Bronco (overengineered) kit in the stash, neither of which have replicated the windshield "stay-up" latches or the braces for the M31C pedestal mount.

Still, I was hesitant to get the Takom kit, but I might commit to the Meng offering if the price and engineering are OK.

I received a Takom kit a couple days ago . It seems to land in between Tamiya and Bronco's kits. I put some Tamiya pieces up against Takom parts and they look to be about the same. The only things that are lacking that I can see is the braces on the sides of the tub and the seam that runs down the middle of the hood.
armyguy
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2020 - 01:46 PM UTC
A few years back Stefan Halter did a build titled A tale of three Jeeps He compared Tamiya, Dragon and Bronco. It was a very good build gave the pros and cons and how the kits stacked up against each other. Maybe Stefan could be persuaded to do A tale of three Jeeps Part two. Comparing Meng, Takom, against Tamiya (which seems to be the benchmark )
ryally
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 879 posts
Armorama: 330 posts
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2020 - 03:07 AM UTC
I would like it if they have made it so the wheels can turn. I'm not a fan of the Takom join/ part lines at the back of the Jeep, prefer how Tamiya did it. I am guessing/ hoping you get clear light parts. Hope they do a SAS version!!
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2020 - 03:08 AM UTC
Good idea David, I always appreciate build reviews so that I can better pick the kits I buy and be warned of any errors or shortcomings.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2020 - 06:46 AM UTC
Time to get rid of my Tamiya kit and the upgrade designed to make it half-way good.
ryally
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 879 posts
Armorama: 330 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2020 - 10:21 PM UTC
Dam you Covid
This will make this release longer. I am confused did the jeep have a 50 cal on it?? I have seen some say the SAS WW2 jeeps didn't have 50 cals......anyone can help me out. I would love to do a SAS desert jeep with 50cal
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2020 - 11:53 PM UTC
The Willys MB (and Ford GPW) could and did mount the M2 .50 cal., it was more common to mount an M19A4 .30 cal though.

RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2020 - 12:01 AM UTC
Seems as if at least one did .....

This seems to be another jeep than the three images above, different damage to the condensor can in front of the grille ..

-------------------------------------------

Don't know if this one counts as SAS, looks like British berets but I am not a uniform expert ...

https://www.nevingtonwarmuseum.com/usa---sas-europe-jeeps.html

/ Robin
ropeynz
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 134 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2020 - 02:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Don't know if this one counts as SAS, looks like British berets but I am not a uniform expert ...

https://www.nevingtonwarmuseum.com/usa---sas-europe-jeeps.html

/ Robin

It's a PPA (Popski's Private Army) jeep in San Marco Square, Venice. If you haven't heard of the unit I highly recommend you look them up. (There are about 4 books by members, including 'Popski'.) Boy's Own Annual stuff.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2020 - 03:29 AM UTC
They're going for $16.49 at HobbyEasy. Of course shipping right now is by boat, 5 to 11 weeks....
I ordered 3!
 _GOTOTOP