_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Some Panther Ausf G questions from a newbie
Catsrcool
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 32 posts
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2020 - 01:57 AM UTC
Please can I get help.
I have got this:
http://www.ryefield-model.com/thread-715-2.html
and I wanted make it option 7 on this:
http://www.echelonfd.com/firstfrontier/AXT351015.htm
Which I believe is this:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/130556552@N02/25814348666
I have not received the Decal sheet yet so I do not know if some of my questions can be answered studying the instruction sheet.
1 Overall should I be following 1944 or 1945 construction options?
2 I can see that it is the mantlet without the "chin" but is that the rain guard on it as well?
3 Did it have the heater installed? If that is a rear view on the Echelon site then it looks like the answer is yes.
4 If that is a rear view as above it has the stowage bins that have an "X" on?
5 Which of the 3 exhaust options do I need to use?
6 Anything I have missed out?
I have the extra aerials and mounts coming as it is a command vehicle.
Thank you in advance.
It will be only my second tank model in over 50 years! So please be gentle with me!
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 604 posts
Armorama: 506 posts
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2020 - 03:48 AM UTC
Hi Colin,

Nice one to choose and the Ryefield model looks very nice and crisp, firstly, I am no expert, but going from the decal sheet and the pic, there is a rain guard fitted to it, it looks like the heater is there as well, as in the image you can just make out a slightly higher area, where the heater would be (it is a bit blurred and dark in the picture from flicker, but it looks like its there). I would say the exhaust configuration is the same as in choices 1 through 6 on the decal sheet, straight up pipes with the armoured shield around the pipe.
Problem with some of these choices is unless you have a picture which confirms things either 100% yes or no, some things have to be a gut or modellers choice option.

Im sure you will have a great time building it, and as you have done here, along with hopeful pictures of the build, ask all the questions you can, this place is a font of knowledge.

John
Catsrcool
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2020 - 04:15 AM UTC
Thank you.
The Decal sheet should arrive tomorrow morning so I will see if I can get more information when I have it in front of me.
I have spent years on the "dark side" building model aircraft and needed to get my mojo back with a completely different modelling direction.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2020 - 11:03 AM UTC
Rain guard yes.

Heater, the photo with the nose up to an enbankment shows a good portion of the rear deck and I do not see a heater.

In the photos, I can not discern any white around the turret numbers.

Exhaust, can't tell from the photographs. The drawings are all single stack. I don't know if that means they were all single stack or did they use the same rear drawing to simplify the diagraming process.
Totalize
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 743 posts
Armorama: 549 posts
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2020 - 12:39 PM UTC
I have a front 3/4 picture of this tank and it does not have a crew compartment heater. It has the rain guard and is indeed a befehls panther. I would go with standard exhausts at the rear as it doesn't show the late cylindrical exhausts. I also have a picture of the left side of the tank with the crew and it has all the tools on it and all the standard spare tracks on the rear left and right.
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2020 - 12:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Please can I get help.
I have got this:
http://www.ryefield-model.com/thread-715-2.html
and I wanted make it option 7 on this:
http://www.echelonfd.com/firstfrontier/AXT351015.htm
Which I believe is this:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/130556552@N02/25814348666
I have not received the Decal sheet yet so I do not know if some of my questions can be answered studying the instruction sheet.
1 Overall should I be following 1944 or 1945 construction options?
2 I can see that it is the mantlet without the "chin" but is that the rain guard on it as well?
3 Did it have the heater installed? If that is a rear view on the Echelon site then it looks like the answer is yes.
4 If that is a rear view as above it has the stowage bins that have an "X" on?
5 Which of the 3 exhaust options do I need to use?
6 Anything I have missed out?
I have the extra aerials and mounts coming as it is a command vehicle.
Thank you in advance.
It will be only my second tank model in over 50 years! So please be gentle with me!

1. 1945

2. Not all late Panther Gs received the chin mantlet. It was a case towards the end of the war of installing whatever was available.

3. Heater was installed.

4. Correct

5. Flammvernichter exhausts. The ones with curved tops were only installed on a few vehicles.

6. Check which idler you use. By this time, most Panther Gs had the larger self cleaning idler.

Have fun.

Regards

Rob
SpeedyJ
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 1,617 posts
Armorama: 1,150 posts
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2020 - 01:57 PM UTC
Just want to say, reading through this Topic, that this is what Armorama is all about, helping each other for building a great model. It makes my day!

Kind regards,

Robert Jan
Catsrcool
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2020 - 07:32 PM UTC
Thank you for the replies.
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2020 - 01:55 AM UTC

If you do a Google image search for "1/35 ambush pattern", you'll find stencils etc to help make the pattern on the side skirts.

While one shot shows other HG Panthers with the Flammentoter exhausts, I think RO 1 had the regular ones. See 2nd pic.

The base for the star antenna was protected by a armored base. (Pic from different unit.)

You'll also need to add the stowage bracket for the Befehls antenna underneath the tube for the gun cleaning rods.

Johnnych01
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 604 posts
Armorama: 506 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2020 - 04:23 AM UTC
Those are some great reference pics there Marc, a lot of people will find them useful, me included.
John
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2020 - 04:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Those are some great reference pics there Marc, a lot of people will find them useful, me included.
John

John,

You're welcome.

Here a front view as well.

Panzerart makes the reinforced mantlet, you just need to add the plug for the coax mg.
https://www.super-hobby.nl/products/Reinforce-Mantlet-for-Panther-A-G-Tank.html
 _GOTOTOP