_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tiger 1 coaxial machine guns
coltm4
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 164 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, April 09, 2004 - 08:02 PM UTC
guys i need some help here... do the MG 17 bow and co-axial machine guns for close support in the Tiger 1 Early get fed by belts of 7.92 or those little drums? or those bags they hang on the sides? would i be 'accurate' if i had a 50 rd belt sticking out the side of the radio op's machinegun? thanks
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Friday, April 09, 2004 - 10:01 PM UTC
According to my references it was the pouch or drum for the ammo storage. But, I give you this ti think on most crews also carried a MG34 to aid in close support of the tanks itself for infantry and Aircraft. HTH STUG
coltm4
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 164 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 11:46 PM UTC
So they would have grabbed the belts straight from the bag and slapped em in?
thanks
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 385 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 06:20 AM UTC
From what I've seen, the bags are mounted on the sides of the machine guns in a fasion similar to the boxes of ammo used by allied vehicles. The main difference is that the bags are fitted to hangers instead of sitting on something. If you look at the commander's ring mount for the turret machine gun, you can see the two parallel bars on the left side used for hanging the machine gun ammo bags. The bags have a hinged metal top plate that opens to allow the ammo to feed into the machine gun.
 _GOTOTOP