Hosted by Darren Baker
Hobbyboss Canadian C1/ mexas
davidg
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 47 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2020 - 02:26 PM UTC
Hello all. Started on the new Hobbyboss C1/Mexas. If you are thinking of building this be prepared for a lot and I mean a lot of cleanup. Finished all the running gear and I think all the mould half’s must have been a little off. So far parts fit well but again more cleanup of parts then a newly made kit should have in my opinion.
Dave
TankManNick
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 551 posts
Armorama: 543 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2020 - 03:01 PM UTC
No kidding. I was impressed by the lack of cleanup needed on Takom's Chieftains. Barely a seam to cleanup anywhere.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2020 - 04:52 PM UTC
Dave,

If you are able to identify an accuracy issue please post them and/or PM me. There is an aftermarket company interested in a detail set for the Hobby Boss kit.

From looking at the sprues and instructions there is room for improvement on some details.

In case anyone was wondering if you could build a standard Leopard C1 OOB with this new kit...no, the turret, hull sides, and glacis plate are all lacking details as a result of simplifying the parts that are intended to be covered by MEXAS. As examples: there is no ammunition loading port (AKA pistol port) on the left side of the turret, there are no pioneer tools included for the hull sides nor placement locations, there are no side skirts included, and no grouser racks included for the glacis plate. I suspect Hobby Boss may follow-up with a future release of a Leopard C1 using the hull of their standard Leopard C2 (#84503) once it is released to at least use a common hull. The C1 turret would then need the additional details.

Shame about the clean up of the parts. Hobby Boss did a fantastic job on their Canadian Leopard 2A4M CAN but obviously not as well of a job on this kit.

LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2020 - 04:30 AM UTC
Dave,

Here are the pics you provided for posting showing the mould seam and alignment issues.

keo
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
KitMaker: 613 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2020 - 02:54 AM UTC
Alarmed by this I took a look at mine. It has none of these issues. The casting is perfect.
That doesn’t go for the inaccuracy of the kit of course, but I haven’t gone through these yet.

LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2020 - 06:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Alarmed by this I took a look at mine. It has none of these issues. The casting is perfect.
That doesn’t go for the inaccuracy of the kit of course, but I haven’t gone through these yet.

That's encouraging that not all of the kits have the mould issues. Of course most issues can be fixed but good quality control on the production line is what modellers expect and not have to roll the dice when they open the box.

Lots of potential for aftermarket parts with this kit!
davidg
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 47 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2020 - 07:48 AM UTC
I am glad yours did not have the same issue. Don't want to see what we get on a roll of the dice or a pick of the second box down not the top one. This is not a cheap kit here in Canada so it was a bit disappointing. Just lots of extra work.May wait for some aftermarket improvements.
Dave
U-mark
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2020 - 10:05 AM UTC
Just as an aside, I have the same problem with the RFM M1240 MATV and the Takom JagdPanther G2 I just finished. Not all the sprue were like that but with both kits they seem to be on the smaller detail parts.
 _GOTOTOP