_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Stowage
chrisb760
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 70 posts
Armorama: 47 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2020 - 07:24 AM UTC
Hello All I'm in the process of building an Academy 1/35 M60A2 as a load for a M747 Trailer.
My question is, how to realistically tie down/Secure stowage?
Would 50gallon barrels be something to go on the back?
Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.
Chris
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2020 - 08:26 AM UTC
Hi,
Personally I use very thin masking tape you can buy for tie downs and rifle slings,also rope used for ship building and occasionally thread.

Tom
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2020 - 08:51 AM UTC
55 gallon barrels would probably be transported by truck. They are about 4 to 5 hundred pounds full.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2020 - 11:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

55 gallon barrels would probably be transported by truck. They are about 4 to 5 hundred pounds full.

Water perhaps, at 462. Fuels, such as gasoline - 330 pounds. Either way, I don't see drums as a load on the tank.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2020 - 06:01 PM UTC
What you might see is the bottom 1/3 of a 55 gal, drum, used as a catch basin under the hull. These often had a grab handle welded to the edge. We’d push them under the tank’s drain plugs to catch oily water dripping out of the hull. Then we’d empty them into a 400 gallon POL pod stationed in a corner of the motor pool or handstand. When the tank was moving, we’d flip them upside down and secure them to a rear fender.
VR, Russ
chrisb760
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2020 - 09:04 PM UTC
Thanks All for your help
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2020 - 03:04 PM UTC
On my A2 in Germany, the usual duffle bags would fit perfectly into the bustle racks.Mine(gunner) in the space behind my hatch.In the large section behind and to the left of the TC 's cupola, was his and the driver's or loader's.The last section behind the loader's hatch, would be for the loader or driver. On our tanks in the 37th armor, we took an empty wooden ammo crate, and secure it with rope, to the 2 rear handles on the back deck cover. in it were extra end connectors, trash bags, turboshaft oil cans ( for the cbss compressors)Our 4 bed rolls, were secured to the outside of the bustle rack rails, mine was on the section directly behind my hatch,as if it were tied to the outside edge, it could get swiped off if we drove too close to a tree. The next 2 bedrolls, could be tied to the rear mount of the searchlight, when the searchlight was in its normal position.
We had a spare road wheel bolted to that square metal frame on the rear left side. We had 2 additional 5 gallon oil cans bolted to the left side of the bustle rack, one behind the loader's hatch, and 1 on the front left edge behind the loader's hatch
chrisb760
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2020 - 01:39 AM UTC
Hi thanks for the info. But when you went out on exercises did you not carry more personal gear or supplies on the outside of the tank if so where did you show it.
Just so I don't put too much stowage on.
Thanks again
 _GOTOTOP