_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Question for the Grant/Lee experts
chauvel
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2020 - 11:15 AM UTC
Hi all

Now that we have 2 companies offering extremely good representations across Early/Mid/Late M3 Grant/Lee platforms, it begs the question...MiniArt or Takom?

Cheers
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2020 - 12:26 PM UTC
Shaun, I'm a long way from being an expert or a rivet counter. That being said, I've built the Takom Early Lee. It went together well considering the upper hull is all flat panels. I used very little Vallejo putty where the different plates joined. The cast part texture is good and the link & length track is a time saver.
I also have the MiniArt Grant but yet to start it. That is one FULL box of plastic ! I've been avidly following Paul H's build log on that kit. Taking all sorts of notes on his hiccups along with his tips & triumphs. Check it out !
Good luck and have fun what ever route you go !
chauvel
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 - 02:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Shaun, I'm a long way from being an expert or a rivet counter. That being said, I've built the Takom Early Lee. It went together well considering the upper hull is all flat panels. I used very little Vallejo putty where the different plates joined. The cast part texture is good and the link & length track is a time saver.
I also have the MiniArt Grant but yet to start it. That is one FULL box of plastic ! I've been avidly following Paul H's build log on that kit. Taking all sorts of notes on his hiccups along with his tips & triumphs. Check it out !

Thanks for the info mate.

Anyone else with a viewpoint?
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 - 02:56 AM UTC
Just my opinion based on nothing but a gut feeling.
I would go for the Miniart kits.
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 - 11:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Both are excellent kits but Miniart do specific Australian Variants and many have interiors. They also do a Diesel Lee if you want to convert to an Australian Diesel Grant. I'd go Miniart but I am equally happy withe Takom kits. The Aussie Lee has specific Australian Mods and a full interior
Al
chauvel
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 - 03:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Both are excellent kits but Miniart do specific Australian Variants and many have interiors. They also do a Diesel Lee if you want to convert to an Australian Diesel Grant. I'd go Miniart but I am equally happy withe Takom kits. The Aussie Lee has specific Australian Mods and a full interior
Al

Thanks Al. From memory, our Lee's remained here for training @ SoA in Pucka - they didn't see active service in theatre, did they?
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 - 08:21 PM UTC
I've built both Takom and MiniArt kits recently and accuracy-wise they are pretty similar with MiniArt being just very slightly better in some areas (although it isn't perfect either!).

But the complexity of the build is MUCH greater in MiniArt kit, even if you don't build the interior kit. Takom kit can be built very quickly with very good result, while the MiniArt one requires much more work, because of the complexity or its engineering.

Both are very good kits, so the choice depends on personal preferences. If you want the interior, then obviously MiniArt is the only way to go. If you want complex build with A LOT of detail parts and don't mind the extra work involved, again go for MiniArt. But if you want faster build with really very similar end result, go with Takom. Then of course there is a difference in the choice of variants offered by each manufacturer.

ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2020 - 12:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Al

Thanks Al. From memory, our Lee's remained here for training @ SoA in Pucka - they didn't see active service in theatre, did they?

Only three Grant dozers out of the whole Australian M3 Medium purchase saw action and only in the final campaigns in the Dutch East Indies as Dozers. The M3's served in Western NSW, QLD, VIC and WA. Post war they were used by the CMF into the 50's alongside Matildas
 _GOTOTOP