_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
1970-80s US Army Cold Weather....
ttwells
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 316 posts
Armorama: 77 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2020 - 03:24 AM UTC
Need ideas on converting 1/35 figures to 1970-80s US Army Cold Weather infantry (Parkas)for a project I have in mind. I scoured the web - no luck on any out of the box figures that I could find. I looked at a few German ones - looks like the have potential with some work... any thoughts?
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2020 - 04:22 AM UTC
There was a release back in 2013 of Faulklands figures that might work. https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/9546

This related thread may give you other ideas as well:
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/216172&page=1
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2020 - 04:35 AM UTC
Ted,

As a Cold War modeller I find nearly a complete void re decent figures for the period, especially the 70s/80s.

The upside is that it's forced me to adapt and to get to grips with figure modelling and conversion. I assure you I'm no Jerry Rutman but with a bit of practice and basic sculpting, and I mean basic(!) can all help you achieve the aim.

The trouble with a parka-wearing figure is that you have to more or less, remove any personal equipment to enable the bulk of the garment to be replicated (say with Milliput), then add the personal equipment, which will normally have to be scratched - lead foil for straps etc, and other items also scratched or scrounged from other kits eg waterbottle, ammo pouches etc.

I am sure there's better tutorials but essentially you'll have to get to grips with Milliput or Magicsculp; practice in just getting the feel as it were of the medium then cut into sections and apply to a prepared figure - ie one sanded down or with equipment removed. Tease into place, add folds and creases from say, a cocktail stick, and finally blend in using a paintbrush and cold water. Once dried you can further finesse creases etc with a bit of sanding if necessary. If you're referring to a US Army parka for the period then I believe they had a wolf skin collar, just add that from a separate strip of rolled Milliput and texture a bit with say, a needle. Any epaulettes etc can come from plastic card.

I modified 2 x crewmen for a M113 wearing said parkas and - in my opinion - didn't come out too bad; if you send me a normal email address I'll send a snap of the final effort.

I forgot to mention I nearly always utilise Hornet heads in my conversions; their US set for Vietnam era will provide a set with the appropriate camouflage covers on the helmets.

I hope this helps in some way(!)

Brian
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2020 - 04:40 AM UTC
Valkyrie Miniatures have some figure sets with parkas. They could serve as a base for conversions.

http://www.valkyrie.co.kr/
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2020 - 04:43 AM UTC
Excellent advice from Brian.
I would repeat what was written earlier concerning the German "Karkov" parkas. They closely resemble the ones we were issued in the FRG back in the 70s/80s. They are a good place to start from if you don't want to build the parkas completely with putty.
J
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1,513 posts
Armorama: 1,449 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2020 - 04:55 AM UTC
As a tanker, we used mechanic coveralls-usually the winter versions
Dan
ttwells
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2020 - 04:58 AM UTC
I was actually looking at the Kharkov figures - close match to what I need. thx
ttwells
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2020 - 05:18 AM UTC
thanks for the info - my skills at figure -remodeling - are too limited to tackle that endeavor, however, I can see myself kitbashing existing ones. I wish the industry would release cold war armies in 1/35. The number of German figures provides enough options that any possible pose and function is done 10 times over. I'd like some Cold War (1950s - 1980s) US, Russian, German and even some Asian nations. Another miss is the African nations (all eras) and female military figures (that are fully clothed and not in sexy poses). I guess its a small niche - thanks again!
 _GOTOTOP