_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Seen on Scalemates
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 - 11:04 AM UTC
Tamiya 1/35 KV-1 Model 1941

ICM 1/35 FCM 36
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 - 11:18 AM UTC
The ancestry of that KV-1 by Tamiya doesn't look promising, I had just learned to read when it was released for the first time ...

That FCM 36 looks promising though
until now there was only resin kits ...
clovis899
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 774 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 - 12:19 PM UTC
Gary,
Thanks for the heads up, it looks like it will be a nice kit. Robin, do you have extra information on this? This looks like a new tooling, am I missing something in regards to the Tamiya KV?

Cheers,
Rick Cooper
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Armorama: 504 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 - 12:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The ancestry of that KV-1 by Tamiya doesn't look promising, I had just learned to read when it was released for the first time ...

Released for the first time...2020, as in new tool.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 - 12:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Released for the first time...2020, as in new tool.

New box art might help dispel the confusion...

...or is it new tool in the sense they remade certain parts as they did with their old Wespe kit?
johhar
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 476 posts
Armorama: 447 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 - 12:42 PM UTC
Check Scalemates again. Trumpeter is doing 1/16 Stug III G and Panzer III M.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 - 04:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm still trying to figure what was so offensive about it, other than the obvious. The dimensions were spot on according to an old Japanese "Tank" magazine I had. Yeah, the tracks were horrid, which I replaced with the older style Friul "squash together" tracks. I added PE from one of those original PE companies, I think it was On the Mark or Airwaves, not sure. Mostly the parts represented the fender supports and the rounded cooling grates. Yeah, I think the fuel cannisters were incorrect, so I simply left them off....
This is not a repop - it's new tool, and yet there's very little detail wise I can remember needing attention save the above mentioned items. Perhaps better drive sprockets.
No matter, even if it nails everything perfectly, within a day of its release, and without having purchased it, someone will wonder if there's a turned barrel available for it.
Meanwhile someone else will gush about the "state of the art" slide molding that's been around since before I was born.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 - 05:01 PM UTC
I've got the old and I mean OLD KV-1 Type C, I guess from '72, and it is a typical Tamiya kit of that era. Battery box and switch holes molded into the hull, and I believe it originally came with a motor when it was released but I got it from a friend who had passed away, box opened, only the front page of the instructions but complete 'cept the motor. I completed the lower hull and put it aside last summer for some reason I can no longer remember. Vinyl band tracks but the molding is very nice as you would expect from Tamiya.
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 - 05:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Scalemates has started a whole new line for this kit, meaning it shares nothing with it's Tamiya predecessors. In fact, check out the video lower on the page and you will see shots of the sprues :
Flat Pack hull not the old bath tub
not a battery switch to be seen
etc
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 - 06:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Scalemates has started a whole new line for this kit, meaning it shares nothing with it's Tamiya predecessors. In fact, check out the video lower on the page and you will see shots of the sprues :
Flat Pack hull not the old bath tub
not a battery switch to be seen
etc

Ahh! Good news then
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 - 06:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ahh! Good news then

'youbetcha'
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 - 06:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've got the old and I mean OLD KV-1 Type C, I guess from '72, and it is a typical Tamiya kit of that era. Battery box and switch holes molded into the hull, and I believe it originally came with a motor when it was released but I got it from a friend who had passed away, box opened, only the front page of the instructions but complete 'cept the motor. I completed the lower hull and put it aside last summer for some reason I can no longer remember. Vinyl band tracks but the molding is very nice as you would expect from Tamiya.

I at first thought it was the old kit,but it's not. The turret looks fair, but is also no right. Suspension arms are also wrong. The turret is symmetrical, when it is actually assymetrical. There's also an issue with the back plate.
I think I'll stick with the Trumpeter.
Gary
TopSmith
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2020 - 07:47 AM UTC
You can tell all of that from a shot of the hull sprue?
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2020 - 09:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I'm still trying to figure what was so offensive about it, other than the obvious. The dimensions were spot on according to an old Japanese "Tank" magazine I had.

The fenders were too wide, so that couldn't have been spot on, and the wheels were C-shaped in cross-section and bald on the inner faces when they should've been I-shaped with detail on both sides. It had good for the time (~50 years ago) details but they were molded in and if it was on the top of the part there was none on the sides. I think there are more parts in the wheels, sprockets, and rollers than in the rest of the kit.

Nevertheless, it is one of the kits I recommend to someone who is has never built a model before, along with many of pre-1980 Tamiya tanks. They are easy to assemble and look good.

KL
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2020 - 11:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You can tell all of that from a shot of the hull sprue?

j

Go over to ML.
Gary
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2020 - 04:29 PM UTC
Interesting. Thanks for the ML reference.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2020 - 04:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I remember now why I set it aside. The turret is in three parts, turret roof and left and right sides. Most turrets are in multiple parts but usually top and bottom. The left and right went together fine with very little clean up but the roof has some wide gaps around the edge where it joins the sides. Nothing too major but I was deciding the best way to fill the gap. Plastic shims or a lot of putty. Then I was going to research the surface texture of the turret and replicate that. But I got sidetracked by something else.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2020 - 01:50 PM UTC
Make a weld seam.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2020 - 02:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Make a weld seam.

That's a good thought, the gap is along the back of the turret. the front is a good fit but isn't as good in the back. A weld seam would fill that quite nicely.

Don't know why I didn't think of that. Thanx.

Hope they corrected that in newer releases of the kit.
 _GOTOTOP