_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Sherman IIa
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2020 - 01:53 PM UTC
Question on the Sherman IIa. Did the Brits refit them with their fire extinguishers as they did with the other Sherman Mks? I'm thinking no. They really did not want anything to do with the 76mm gunned tanks and re-gifted them quickly to Commonwealth units. I'd not think they'd have made the changes (radios and such) they did to the others. The couple good photos dont show them. Most photos are poor or there is so much storage you cant see the area.
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2020 - 07:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Question on the Sherman IIa. Did the Brits refit them with their fire extinguishers as they did with the other Sherman Mks? I'm thinking no. They really did not want anything to do with the 76mm gunned tanks and re-gifted them quickly to Commonwealth units. I'd not think they'd have made the changes (radios and such) they did to the others. The couple good photos dont show them. Most photos are poor or there is so much storage you cant see the area.

Whilst they were not used by the Brits in NWE at least one Bde was equipped with the (2AB) in Italy, They had British Radios etc so I reckon there is a good chance they had Fe etc. The Polish and South Africans were the other commonwealth supplied users
Al

b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2020 - 12:18 PM UTC
Sounds like the extinguishers were an oddity on the IIas. I did find a photo of a 6th SA Vc that distinctly shows them, but those were rebuilt by the Brits in the UK, so not indicative. Other photos I've found of the 6th South African Armored ... any Mk of Sherman ... is inconclusive. Guess I'll play the odds and go no extinguishers.
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Monday, February 10, 2020 - 07:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sounds like the extinguishers were an oddity on the IIas. I did find a photo of a 6th SA Vc that distinctly shows them, but those were rebuilt by the Brits in the UK, so not indicative. Other photos I've found of the 6th South African Armored ... any Mk of Sherman ... is inconclusive. Guess I'll play the odds and go no extinguishers.

Sorry but if the SA ones had them then the other British units would have had them, I doubt strongly the SA ones were rebuilt in the UK but rather prepared for issue alongside the british ones in Italy by a Base Ordnance Workshop as was the british Practice. Even if they were done in the UK then the British 2AB ones would also have been sourced from the same location
 _GOTOTOP