_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Molding parts
DinnerOut
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2002 - 11:01 AM UTC
I want to make a few replacement pieces for some models of mine. Can anyone tell me what to use for the parts? I have the mold already made...

Thanks,
DinnerOut
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2002 - 06:44 PM UTC

Hi Dinnerout,
welcome to these pages. I'd be glad to offer a few suggestions, but I don't really understand your question. Could you be more specific ?
About molding, I suggest you take a peak at the Scratchbuilding forum on this site...
Jan
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2002 - 07:24 PM UTC
Resin is maybe what he is looking for Jan. this maybe
http://www.alumilite.com/. If not their are many different brands out their.
DinnerOut
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2002 - 09:41 AM UTC
I want to know what is the best substance to use when casting parts such as shell casings, tank treads, tent poles, and a few other things..

Tks,

DO
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2002 - 06:43 PM UTC
Resin do a search for it.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2002 - 11:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Resin is maybe what he is looking for Jan. this maybe
http://www.alumilite.com/. If not their are many different brands out their.

DinnerOut - I've used Alumilite for a few years too to cast my parts. I like it.

Gunnie
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 12:59 AM UTC

OK dinnerout. I am not familiar with the products that are available on the US market, but here in Europe I tried at least ten different brands. Some are better than others, but if you stick to Polyurethane resin that cures at room temperature, you can't really go wrong.
I suggest you consult your local chemist store. Take a few "originals" you intend to copy, so the salesman gets a clue of the technical properties of the liquid you need to purchase.
Brand names are not so important as the technical properties of the stuff.
If you live in a remote area and you wish to order through the internet, I refer to the suggestions of the American modelers on this site. They have far more experience with that than I do.

Please refer to the "scratchbuilding" forum on this site for more info on casting resin.

Good luck.
Jan

GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 03:37 AM UTC
DinnerOut - there's one more thing I just remembered. When you make "knock-offs" (copies of other parts - like resin ones) consider the thermosetting compound you're mixing together to make a mold.

Interestingly, I remember trying to "knock-off" a Verlinden M113 fuel tank because I had rolled over it and broke it with my chair in the model room. I put it back together, and after repairs, I used it as a master in a RTV mold I was casting. The temperature of the curing mold didn't seem remarkable to me - but it cracked the resin part in two - my join actually held, it split in a different area. That was a bummer...

Gunnie
 _GOTOTOP