_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Hetzer AM parts to make Swiss G13 ?
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 - 06:21 AM UTC
Got a couple of Hetzers in the stash and would like to make a Swiss G13 variant out of one. Is there any after market sets out there to make it happen?
Also, any color recommendations to match? Looks like to me Gelboliv with some black added based on web images.
Thanks!
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 - 06:52 AM UTC
MR Modell is the way to go :

https://www.mrmodellbau.com/1-35-MR-Models/Komplettmodelle-Umbausaetze/Schweizer-Armee/MR-35266-Hetzer-G-13-Schweiz-fuer-DRAGON::138.html

Olivier's build :

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/167459&page=1

olivier.carneau.free.fr/kits/europe/panzerjager_g13/index_gb.htm

H.P.
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 - 09:53 AM UTC
Merci Frenchy ! Perfect ! Thank you for the links to Oliver's great G13 build and the link to MR Modell for my after market needs.
OUCH!!! 35 Euro or about $40 US for the kit (including shipping) I may rethink this project idea.
Thank you again !
RivetCounter
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 62 posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2020 - 05:32 AM UTC
Ivanhoe, sending a kit across the ocean might be pricey, but you don't have to reject your project.
A G-13 is a simple tank and you can do your own conversion especially if you have additional sets to pick some parts from them.
MR modellbau set presents the final version of G-13 which may be little tricky to recreate but the earlier versions are more simple. It all depends what really you would like to build.
Here is my model that I've started for the 50-part project here on armorama.
Many of private-owned Hetzers are G-13's reconverted to look like oryginal Hetzers. More or less but mostly less.

And this is what I wanted to achieve - a slightly backdated G-13 painted as a German Hetzer and used by reenactors. It is a mix of two Academy's Hetzers. You can see two types of wheels (early and late). I also have shaved off bolts from two wheels to recreate the welded ones. The model is still unpainted.

There is an excellent walk around that might be useful for you.
https://yuripasholok.livejournal.com/4457250.html

And the Jagdpanzer 38 Hetzer by Hans-Heiri Stapfer from Signal Squadron is a very good source for all G-13 lovers.
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2020 - 07:25 AM UTC
Good point Marek and a very nice G-13.

Do you have a link or list of changes you made? I have a few Academy kits that I could try it on.
RivetCounter
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2020 - 09:50 PM UTC
Hi Ryan. Here is what you asked for...

You should use a late Hetzer as a base because it has late towing brackets.
The most significant detail is the lubrication plug on the final drive casting. When you see it you are 100% sure that it is a reworked (or not) G-13. There are side suports weldet to front and rear towing brackets.

The small flap on the at the bottom is welded to the part above and the part above is welded to the right engine door. So the right door wing is much bigger than it was in the original Hetzer.

A distinctive feature of G-13 is the armored cupola.
I've made my own from the conical cover for the external start crank (taken from another Hetzer). The size is OK and it is empty inside. Electric drill as a lathe. OLFA knife in hand and voila! I really like the result.

Spare tracks on both sides and one spare wheel are quite obvious additions.

A muzzle break is also a typical feature of Swiss G-13's.
You can also add the big ammunition box on the left superstructure of the tank. And the telephone box with the telephone cable at the rear.
It is worth noting that the MR Modellbau model presents a vehicle with a Saurer engine.

And remember that my model is a re-germanized Swiss Hetzer
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2020 - 11:49 PM UTC
Thanks Marek. The cupola has me stumped on making but that is a good work around. It also made me think about a rubber stopper on the end of a metal rod that could be cut down and drilled out. How did you make the welded road wheel? Any thoughts on a muzzle break replacement?
jps
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 140 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2020 - 01:35 AM UTC
One small thing to look for when looking at a Hetzer/G13 is the Swiss andded oill plugs on final drives.
RivetCounter
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2020 - 05:32 AM UTC
Ryan, making the wheels is easier than one may thought. All you need is an electric drill and a sharp x-acto knife. Here is a short instruction how to do it. I think that I had used the blade #16 (scoring blade).

The remains of the edge can be still visible on the spare wheel. I could polish this better but it can't be seen with the bare eye.

I've made the cupola in the same way.

And the muzzle brake from any PaK-40 will be OK.
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2020 - 12:20 PM UTC
Dziekuje Marek ! I can build a G13 with a little extra work and not have to invest in a pricey AM kit to achieve good results !
Your Hetzer is looking good and look forward to seeing the completed project.
Dave, see you Friday!
 _GOTOTOP