_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Early Armor
WWI and other early tanks and armored cars.
Hosted by Darren Baker
MkIV Male unditching beam colours?
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 592 posts
Armorama: 588 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 - 04:17 PM UTC
I'm building Tamiya's MkIV Male and I'm not sure whether to paint certain parts like the bolts, ends etc a rusty/silver colour? The only painting guide I can make out is it says to paint it the overall colour Tamiya 64.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 - 04:50 PM UTC
According to the Haynes guide on the Mk IV, the beams were reinforced wood with metal wrapped reinforced ends and in some cases two sides, all held together by bolts. The beams were left in natural wood, or painted the same color as the vehicle. As the paint wore off the metal l’ll bet there was quite a bit of weathering and rust.
VR, Russ
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2020 - 02:55 AM UTC
You can see in this pic the plates and end caps, as mentioned by Russ.

I would paint the beam natural wood color(Tamiya Deck Tan) and wash and weather in different shades of brown and gray.

Rust up the metal plates and bolts if your are depicting a well used tank.

Tamiya XF 64 may be too dark, for an overall color, in my opinion.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/85/British_Mark_IV_Male_tank_%E2%80%98Lodestar_III%E2%80%99_%2834936723702%29.jpg

Click on image to enlarge.

Cheers,
Ringleheim
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 184 posts
Armorama: 183 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2020 - 11:55 AM UTC
Do you build WWI aircraft models by chance? It is common with those to have to reproduce natural wood finishes as you are probably going to do with the beams on the tank.

The Wingnut Wings website has a tutorial you can look at.

Basic idea is to paint the beam an underlying raw "wood" color like Tamiya flesh, deck tan, buff, etc...and then take a sponge (once dry) and smear oil based artist paint over the beam. Any sort of dark brown type of color works well. Once the wood grain is on the beam, clear coat it, and then you can weather it like crazy to make it look old or faded or oxidized or mud slopped on it or whatever you want!

That is what I would do at least! Good luck with it.

The sponge technique:

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/hintsandtips
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2020 - 05:47 PM UTC
Thanks guys. I couldn't find much clear info when I did a search so that's very helpful (and yes ringleheim I do build WW1 aircraft but that link is very helpful too to brush up on skills).

So just to be really clear the wooden beam is sandwiched between 2 long thin pieces of metal with bolts and the ends are also metal?
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2020 - 06:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks guys. I couldn't find much clear info when I did a search so that's very helpful (and yes ringleheim I do build WW1 aircraft but that link is very helpful too to brush up on skills).

So just to be really clear the wooden beam is sandwiched between 2 long thin pieces of metal with bolts and the ends are also metal?

Yes—Sandwiched between two long strips held together by bolts, but there are two types of ends I’ve seen in photos— one is a full cap, the other is just a strap wrapped around the end and riveted on. Also, some photos look like the metal parts are painted, while others show the whole thing as painted, but it’s hard to tell really, could be some type of coating, or just covered in embedded dirt.
VR, Russ
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2020 - 11:54 AM UTC
Cheers for that. Looking at the built Tamiya beam also is there a possibility that the back was metal also? The reason I ask is because Tamiya has made it so it looks like the back is part of the 2 other sides and there's also 2 small parts on the back that stick out. It looks like the top, back and lower sides are all one piece with the wooden bit in the middle.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2020 - 04:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Cheers for that. Looking at the built Tamiya beam also is there a possibility that the back was metal also? The reason I ask is because Tamiya has made it so it looks like the back is part of the 2 other sides and there's also 2 small parts on the back that stick out. It looks like the top, back and lower sides are all one piece with the wooden bit in the middle.

Not sure about that. The beams were a bit wedge shaped or tapered on the short axis according to the Haynes guide for the MK IV. Doesn’t seem like it would be practical to make a “box” on three sides that way. They were made so they wouldn’t “roll” when a track was driven over them, like a wedge, otherwise they’d have a tendency to damage and wear “square” corners under a track. My understanding is they were “chained” or clipped” to the track links via a grouser, and moved around the circumference of the tank to assist in climbing out of a mire or ditch— that’s what those rails on the top of the vehicle are all about. Must have been a muddy, dirty job. But I think they had metal on two sides and wood on two sides.
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 574 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2020 - 02:23 PM UTC
Look at some model railroad sites for weathering wood and iron/steel.
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2020 - 04:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Not sure about that. The beams were a bit wedge shaped or tapered on the short axis according to the Haynes guide for the MK IV. Doesn’t seem like it would be practical to make a “box” on three sides that way. They were made so they wouldn’t “roll” when a track was driven over them, like a wedge, otherwise they’d have a tendency to damage and wear “square” corners under a track. My understanding is they were “chained” or clipped” to the track links via a grouser, and moved around the circumference of the tank to assist in climbing out of a mire or ditch— that’s what those rails on the top of the vehicle are all about. Must have been a muddy, dirty job. But I think they had metal on two sides and wood on two sides.

Yes that's probably the case. Cheers!
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2020 - 04:31 PM UTC
Guys whilst searching I came across this....

http://www.armorama.co.uk/forums/245521&page=1

Basically I asked the same thing a while back. And not only a while back.......but 4 years ago.

I'd completely forgotten about it. I pretty much remember almost finishing the tank around then but lost the beam shortly after asking about it in that thread and it's only a few weeks ago I've found it again and decided to finish both tank and beam off for good. I also didn't think I'd had the kit that long. Talk about time flying!
Removed by original poster on 02/28/20 - 15:44:06 (GMT).
 _GOTOTOP