JGSDF LAV
poibrudda6
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 274 posts
Armorama: 251 posts
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2020 - 05:49 PM UTC
Aloha everyone!!!

Quick question does the JGSDF still employ the added armored protection around the gun turret of their LAV like that of those deployed to Iraq? I read somewhere that these had become a liability during Iraqi operations because the "tub" acted like a catch for grenades. Not sure if this was a real concern. Oh and lastly if anyone knew if the re-release kit from Tamiya includes this contraption.

Thank you in advance!!!

Kurt
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2020 - 11:38 PM UTC
Hi Kurt

It seems that at least some LAV's have retained their armored turret after 2008....

https://rikuzi-chousadan.com/soubihin/soukousya/keisoukou.html

The pics below have been taken in 2016 in Utsunomiya (100km from Tokyo ):

from this blog

EDIT : check out this video of the JSDF Military Parade (14 October 2018) at 2:12:31

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBmeQmlcqnA

Looks like the turret is not included in kit #35368... :

http://www.missing-lynx.com/reviews/modern/tamiya35368reviewbg_1.html

H.P.
JohnTapsell
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 227 posts
Armorama: 226 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2020 - 12:29 AM UTC
The turret was included in the original 1/35 scale release but as Frenchy says, does not appear to be in the more recent release (or in the 1/48 scale example they offer either).

Yes - the turret is still used on a proportion of home-based LAVs. However, there are also some other 'upgrades' that relate to the Iraq deployment too. An externally mounted jerrycan rack on the rear and a spare wheel carrier that also sits on the back of the vehicle.

Home-based vehicles can be seen with none of these upgrades, all of the upgrades or just some of them. I suspect that those vehicles that went to Iraq retain the upgrades (or fittings for them) whilst vehicles that never went overseas have not necessarily been upgraded.

There are a lot of LAV images online so a google image search should give you a good range of choice.

Also worth pointing out that the roof bars, smoke dischargers and aerial combinations are not random. As I understand it, each combination is specific to the vehicle's role (recce, command etc).
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2020 - 12:41 AM UTC
I just want to mention that the JASDF also have LAVs. If anyone can find a set of decals let me know!!

JohnTapsell
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 227 posts
Armorama: 226 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2020 - 10:34 AM UTC
Try this Google search link for a wide range of LAV images:
Japanese LAV Google Search
 _GOTOTOP