_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya Panther Separate Track Links
timcc2008
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 139 posts
Armorama: 135 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2020 - 08:08 AM UTC
Will the Tamiya Panther D tracks, kit #12665 work on a Tamiya Panther G, kit #35174?
Lada_Niva
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
KitMaker: 177 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2020 - 03:12 AM UTC
You can do a quick search on the internet to find out.
I don't really know, but maybe they will.
Because it is the same tank? But I don't have the knowledge at the moment to answer this precise.
Best advice I can give is search on the internet.
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 604 posts
Armorama: 506 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2020 - 03:44 AM UTC
I think they would work ( as in length and dimensions etc), as if I recall, there were only 2 track versions that Panthers used, the early and late version. However, it possibly would'nt be right to find Panther D (the early type) on Panther G's as the late version track was I think introduced in late 1943 so I would think all Panther G's would be fitted with the late version track. You could say there might be old stock laying about to be used so you could use some artistic measure if you wanted to fit them and I am pretty sure there isnt an exact picture of every single G ever produced to disprove it ...so ... yes, they would fit ... but probably didnt happen due to time frames etc.

I will put in here that I am no expert, just bits I read about and remembered so someone may know more and better than me...Hope that helps a bit.

John
timcc2008
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2020 - 05:33 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies so far.

The reason I ask this is I acquired a Panther G kit and it included the Tamiya Panther D separate tracks as a bonus.

It may just mean that now I need to go buy a Panther D kit for the tracks!
jps
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 140 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2020 - 07:02 AM UTC
The differnce between early and late Panther tracks is the presense of chevrons on the face, with Panther D tracks not having chevrons. That said those chevrons wore havily and after a while seeing the chevrons on the late tracks can be difficult. Whether or not it they will physically fit (wow, that is a phrase I don't use often) the sprockets, I have no idea.
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2020 - 09:31 AM UTC
I suggest you measure them up to the kit supplied track links. If I recall correctly, the kit comes with individual links for spares if the other tracks are missing...
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2020 - 10:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the replies so far.

The reason I ask this is I acquired a Panther G kit and it included the Tamiya Panther D separate tracks as a bonus.

It may just mean that now I need to go buy a Panther D kit for the tracks!

If you've got both kits, might I suggest you assemble three or four links of the Ausf D track, and dry fit the inner and outer Ausf G sprocket parts together, and see if they fit? I suspect they'll be fine.

As for whether they are appropriate, German tank tracks had a very short road life (compared to US tracks), and it's entirely possible that an old set of replacement track could be fitted to a newer tank.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2020 - 11:45 AM UTC
Why not use Friuel track? You can get the correct track type and it has weight that causes authentic sag.
Pak_40
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 281 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2020 - 04:48 PM UTC
Tamiya made tracks for Panther G (A) some while back that are very nice. Check and see if they still have them.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2020 - 05:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Tamiya made tracks for Panther G (A) some while back that are very nice. Check and see if they still have them.

Tamiya's Panther G tracks are molded with solid track guides. On the real tank, the guide teeth are hollow at the base. Their D tracks are correct, and are also workable.
timcc2008
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, March 06, 2020 - 01:47 AM UTC
I appreciate all the replies! Thanks, guys!
 _GOTOTOP