Hosted by Darren Baker
Leopard 1 Brugleggende Tank
Jasperb12
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 105 posts
Armorama: 71 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 01, 2020 - 09:51 AM UTC
A rather unusual armoured vehicle this time: The Leopard 1 AVLB ‘Biber’. My model represent a bridge layer of the 13e Lichte Brigade, Royal Netherlands Army. To model a Leopard 1 Brugleggende tank I made 3D printed conversions parts. The base kit is the Elite Models Biber resin kit in scale 1:35. The model is painted with AK Interactive’s excellent Real Color paints, and weathered with pigments and oils.

SWATdoc
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 138 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 01, 2020 - 04:39 PM UTC
Hello Jasper,

I really like the way the weathering differences between the bridge sections. Here in Texas, USA, that same effect is visible on vehicles that have one side exposed to the sun longer than the opposite side. It can be a challenge to model it as it is easily considered to be a mistake.

Is Elite models still manufacturing kits?

Respectfully,

Allen
Removed by original poster on 03/02/20 - 06:38:24 (GMT).
Jasperb12
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 01, 2020 - 06:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Jasper,

I really like the way the weathering differences between the bridge sections. Here in Texas, USA, that same effect is visible on vehicles that have one side exposed to the sun longer than the opposite side. It can be a challenge to model it as it is easily considered to be a mistake.

Is Elite models still manufacturing kits?

Respectfully,

Allen

Thank you very much Allen!

I tried to replicate a specific vehicle from some pictures I found on the internet. This vehicle had one bridge section in a sun faded shade of NATO green, just as you described

This was a tricky thing to replicate as I had to mix my own paints in the right (or wrong ) shade. I think I got pretty close!

Elite Models is still making this kit, but you have to be prepared to put a lot of work in it. That, and the kits hefty price. You can take a look at their website https://www.elitemodell.de/elite/bundeswehr/3518 . I was lucky enough to get mine for an absolute bargain, otherwise I would never have spent that kind of money on a kit. It just isn’t worth it.

Regards,

Jasper
AKirchhoff
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 307 posts
Armorama: 304 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 01, 2020 - 08:07 PM UTC
Hi Jasper,
very well done on that quite old kit which I also build a long time ago. When you want to improve the side stowage bins a little (which would mean that you would have to repaint them accordingly which is not that easy) you may ask at Revell or in this forum for the NL parts of their Leopard 1 kit from 2015 (the 1A1 under the same number from 2017 does not include this sprue!) which do fit here. I like the weathering and the build-up of dirt very well. Really well done!

Andreas
covkid
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 252 posts
Armorama: 194 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 01, 2020 - 08:26 PM UTC
Hi,

stunning work my friend. I woukd kove to see this in pkastic in this scale.

Regards Jason
Jasperb12
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 01, 2020 - 11:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jasper,
very well done on that quite old kit which I also build a long time ago. When you want to improve the side stowage bins a little (which would mean that you would have to repaint them accordingly which is not that easy) you may ask at Revell or in this forum for the NL parts of their Leopard 1 kit from 2015 (the 1A1 under the same number from 2017 does not include this sprue!) which do fit here. I like the weathering and the build-up of dirt very well. Really well done!

Andreas

Thank you Andreas!

It isn’t a model you see very often, I haven’t heard from anyone who has also build it before. I tried to make the stowage bins with my 3D printer, but they didn’t quite come out as expected. I decided to use them anyway, because they aren’t that bad. I am aware of the parts in the Revell kit, I used the tracks from that kit on this model.

Jasper
Jasperb12
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 01, 2020 - 11:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,

stunning work my friend. I woukd kove to see this in pkastic in this scale.

Regards Jason

Thank you very much Jason!

A plastic kit would be great, it saves you the trouble of a resin kit!
 _GOTOTOP