_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
A30 Challenger Track Query ...
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 412 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2020 - 09:22 AM UTC
Does anyone know whether tracks on the A30 Challenger were similar to those used on any other World War Two British tank? I ask this because I have a 1/72-scale resin kit of the Challenger, and I prefer not to use the rather 2-dimensional etched-brass tracks that accompany the kit. Instead, perhaps I can find something (either one-piece vinyl or link-and-length plastic) from another kit. Failing that, I will just have to settle for the etched-brass version.

Paul
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 921 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2020 - 09:27 AM UTC
If I am not mistaken the Challenger used the same track as the late Cromwell models. The wider one.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2020 - 10:41 AM UTC
They used the 15.5" tracks as fitted to the late Cromwells, which look a LOT like 40cm PzIV tracks to al but expert eyes. (Same size etc, only very slight detail differences). And in 1/72 I think you could get away with it a lot easier than in 1/35! Plus, I suspect there are more options for PzIV tracks than wide Cromwell ones at that scale...
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 412 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2020 - 06:10 AM UTC
Tom,

Thanks for that. I initially thought of using the tracks from a Comet tank, but then realised that these would be too short (5 road-wheels instead of the Challenger's 6). Pz.Kpfw.IV? … sounds promising, and worth exploring as of I have several un-built kits of this tank.
The Challenger tracks included in my ExtraTech kit are etched-brass lengths, and require careful bending to create the guide horns. While they no doubt appeal to some modellers, I find them to be 2-dimensional (a problem with most PE items).

Paul
 _GOTOTOP