Hosted by Darren Baker
m48 patton engine snorkel
coltm4
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 164 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2004 - 03:32 PM UTC
I have built the Tamiya 1.35 M-48A3 PATTON and was wondering how common it would be to see the engine snorkel mounted on the back. You know the pipe coming out of the engine deck on the back of the tank.... and if its not on would the gaps in the grate still be there? thanks
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 12:44 AM UTC
The snorkel would be used for amphibious operations, both beach landings and river crossing/fording. If the snorkel is removed, the gaps in the grills are still there. You should drill small holes where the mounting bolts would screw into. Use the bolt detail on the snorkel base as a pattern for where to place the holes. Or you can add tiny bolt heads (from a manufacturer like Grandt Line) in the same pattern to represent the mounting bolts being screwed back into place.
coltm4
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 164 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 11:44 PM UTC
Thanks a bunch Sabot
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Armorama: 658 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 07:29 AM UTC
Sabot is correct.

I have seen no pictures of Army M48A3s in Vietnam mounting the snorkel, however, I have seen photos of Marine tanks with the snorkel mounted when landing across a beach. Just a recommendation to choose which service's vehicle you are modeling before you decide if you want to mount the snorkel.

Jeff
 _GOTOTOP