_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
1/35 KV-1 External Fuel Tank?
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2020 - 01:14 PM UTC
Hey All,

I'm trying to find out if anyone knows if any aftermarket resin/styrene of the pictured external fuel tank on a KV-1 WWII Soviet tank are available. I found some fuel tanks made by Panzer Art, but while those Panzer Art external fuel tanks are similar in appearance, the ends of the Panzer Art fuel tanks don't have the 3D handles, the fuel cap isn't the same as this one, and as far as I can tell, the Panzer Art fuel tanks don't come with the straps. I'm hoping that someone knows where the exact fuel tanks are available, ideally in an aftermarket set, or, if only available a part of another kit, what that kit might be.

Thanks in advance for any information on these fuel tanks.

For whatever it's worth, the fuel tank was present on the Adam Wilder video series on weathering of the KV-1 tank. Wilder never said which kit he used as a starting point for his project, but I assumed after finding the Trumpeter KV-1 tank, that that was the appropriate kit, albeit with a number of modifications/changes, such as some of the sponsons were removed, as if damaged, and sponson support brackets were apparently twisted/damaged as well.

Regards and again, thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide!

TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2020 - 03:09 PM UTC
They might be photo etch.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 - 04:16 AM UTC
I think that these cylindrical external-mount fuel drums were a standardized pattern built to replace the small box-like external "drums" seen on fenders of some early-war Sov tanks (KV and T-34 types)...

So... There are various in-kit and AM Sov cylindrical fuel tank sets out - usually marketed for and/or with T-34 tank kits. I've seen some (Dragon, I think) in-kit sets with PE handles, and have replaced the molded-on "handle ridges" on Tamiya T-34 tanks with small styrene or metal strip handles. While these bits are usually associated with or marketed as being T-34 items, they should, I think, be legit and work fine on KV builds, too?

Cheers! Bob
 _GOTOTOP