_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Berlin Brigade Mk10 Chieftain, Takom OOB.
iwatajim
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 246 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2020 - 01:23 AM UTC
So it is time to start this project I have had in mind for a long, long time, ever since seeing this scheme for the first time. I have made a start already and the kit to be quite good quality to me so far, being my first Takom. The only issue is the size of the parts gates, which are quite large. Positives are crisp detail and a pleasing matt finish to the plastic.

Anyway, here’s a couple of pics to get things started. I’m hoping for a quick build and then the real fun begins with that paint job!

Thanks for looking in.

Johnnych01
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 604 posts
Armorama: 506 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2020 - 01:46 AM UTC
I was after this one as a wish list, but I just can't justify spending between the £50 to £70 I've seen it for.
I wanted it for my Golden memories campaign from when I was on one in BAOR in Detmold,...

Will look forward to watching you put this together Jim, and good luck with the Berlin paint job... At least the spring packs look easier to put together than the real ones lol...
iwatajim
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2020 - 09:13 AM UTC
Thanks John, it’s great to have someone who served on these very tanks on board! I didn’t realise the kits had got quite so expensive, I managed to pick this up for £40 at the Scottish Nationals a couple of years ago. At modelsforsale.com according to the price sticker on the box.

And I can only but imagine what working on the real suspension system would have been like! The models is certainly going together fairly well though.

Cheers, Jim.
kinmanb
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 52 posts
Armorama: 49 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2020 - 11:06 AM UTC
I have this kit as well. Will be watching your pain with the paint job. I know there is an Australian company that made/makes a mask set, but I don’t know how gettable it is right now or how much.

Cheers
Bret
27-1025
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,281 posts
Armorama: 1,222 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2020 - 01:42 PM UTC
Have always liked that scheme. Will watch with interest how to tackle that paint job.
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2020 - 09:05 AM UTC
Bret,
Clayton Ockerby is the guy that offered the masks to do the Berlin Chieftain Mk 10. He can be contacted via his website: www.theworkbench.com.au or via his FB page: https://www.facebook.com/workbenchhobbies.

His three part review, construction and painting blogs can be found on The Modeling News: https://www.themodellingnews.com/2015/12/ptiii-paint-and-weathering-takoms-135.html#more. This link is for the third blog, the one that covers the painting of the model but there are links to the review and construction blogs.
HTH

John
iwatajim
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2020 - 09:24 AM UTC
Yeah, thanks for the links, I’ve been using those posts on the modelling news for inspiration. Going to try and mask up just using tape and perspiration! Would love a mask set but with the way things are I’m trying to use what I have to hand.

The build is coming along. Running gear done and half way through the hull. Lots of big connection tabs to clean up, but getting there...

Cheers, Jim.
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2020 - 10:38 AM UTC
I like the Takom Chieftains. I built a Mk 11 and after I saw Clayton's work, I decided that I need to do a Mk 10 in Berlin Brigade colors. I have the model, the paint, the masks and now, just to find the time.
iwatajim
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 08:33 AM UTC
Sorry for delay since last post. Isn’t it amazing how little time for modelling you end up with when you have so much time on your hands! Coming along slowly but hull built apart from parts left off for painting, lights, photo etch, etc. And turret coming together too. Not looking forward to tracks, individual links are not workable...

Should be at painting stage soon,

iwatajim
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2020 - 04:40 AM UTC
Ok, so finally at the stage for paint. Have kept the bins, Baskets, etc off for masking the camo’. Next update will have the first coats of paint on, I promise!

Panzer_Modeler
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 419 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2020 - 12:37 PM UTC
Jezzzz.... that camo is a beast! I cant wait to see how you pull it off! Im doing a Chally 2 in that camo for the trumpeter campaign.
UpperCanadian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 152 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2020 - 02:31 PM UTC
Is Takom a good brand?
iwatajim
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2020 - 12:15 AM UTC
Yeah the camo has been occupying a lot of my thoughts lately! I have the outline of a plan.

This is my first Takom kit. I’m certainly not disappointed with it, Only fitment issues are down to my own ham fistedness, and the details are pretty good. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it.

No camo yet but I have primed with alclad white primer, note the ancient tamiya abrams primed over multiple layers of paint to be used as my sacrificial practice piece. Also added the loose strap ends on the gun barrel with wine bottle cap foil.

Panzer_Modeler
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 419 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2020 - 05:18 AM UTC
Looking good! I can tell you pretty sincerely you will use up at least a full roll of masking tape for that camo!
UpperCanadian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 152 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2020 - 10:25 AM UTC
Looks good.

I love the Berlin Brigade camo but I need to improve my airbrushing before I attempt it!
noddy927
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,273 posts
Armorama: 568 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2020 - 11:03 PM UTC
Hi Jim
I also bought the same kit at the Scottish Nationals the same time it seems. The camo is what interested me in buying it, and it is also what has stopped me from building it so far lol. Good luck with the camo and look forward to seeing the end result.

Pete
iwatajim
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2020 - 07:24 AM UTC
Hi Dan,

I think it is masking practice I am going to need rather than airbrushing!

Hey Pete,

Ha! All the other sellers were around the £50 mark I seem to remember. I couldn’t resist the price and I have been hankering after trying this scheme out for a long time. Just going to take my time with the masking and try not to build up colours too thickly to prevent bleeding. I’m preshading just now...

Thanks, Jim.
maximus8425
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 331 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2020 - 08:20 AM UTC
Just a point to note about the paint colours on the Berlin Chieftains, their back decks were painted brown and I remember reading somewhere that the running gear was black.

I have seen them in the flesh on Hohne ranges back in the 80's but cannot remember what the running gear colour was.

Max
iwatajim
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2020 - 09:03 AM UTC
Hi Max,

Thanks for the info and excellent pics. The instructions have the engine deck and running gear down as nato green. Like you I have heard brown for the engine deck but not heard of black for the running gear yet. And after studying many pics I realise there are quite a few different variations of the camo colour placements. I kinda like the contrast of the nato green with the camo, but am intriguied with black for the running gear. Makes sense that they would have left the engine deck and running gear original green colour, and maybe changed to black and brown at a later date? Going to go with the green for now but can always change it later. Also wonder if the brown look of engine deck in photos is actually the original green, only looks brown in photos...hmmnnn

Thanks again, Jim.
maximus8425
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 331 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2020 - 09:16 AM UTC
HI Jim,

You're right, never say never because as soon as you do other pics pop up and say otherwise. They were there for that long I'm sure there were quite a few variations over the years.
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 604 posts
Armorama: 506 posts
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2020 - 09:21 AM UTC
From memory of one's I saw up at Hohne (which were mk10s) while we were there firing had the brown engine decks and I'm 90% sure black running gear.

I think it was the earlier mk5s and a few Mks after that, that had the normal green running gear and engine decks.
iwatajim
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2020 - 10:07 AM UTC
Thanks John,

These insights from yourself and Max are great and gladly received. The evidence is becoming more and more compelling for the black and brown. I like black wheels on my personal road vehicles anyway, and will be interesting to try and make that look interesting. Rubber black against Matt black on the metal parts and highlight with nato black maybe. As for what brown to use, it certainly doesn’t look like the brown in the camo, so some experimentation coming up I think, plenty of space on the abrams practice piece for that!

Thanks again for the first hand recollections!

Cheers, Jim.
phil2015
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 502 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2020 - 11:37 AM UTC
I'm not sure how I missed this before, but it looks really great. I admire the way you have your parts organized. I'm always rummaging around looking for the right small parts.

I'm starting to get interested in building something from the Cold Wars and the British tanks are pretty interesting.

iwatajim
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2020 - 12:24 AM UTC
Hey Phil,

Thanks for looking in, and for noticing my attempts at parts management! Working like this means easier airbrushing with minimal handling of parts, and I hate wearing vinyl gloves. The Jenga will never be the same again though!

Cheers, Jim.
iwatajim
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 - 02:59 AM UTC
So, The pre-shading is done, with rubber black so I could do the road wheels rubber at the same time, although it will probably disappear under all the other layers of paint and weathering. I was a bit rusty with the old airbrush as haven’t used it for quite a while so this was a good workout, two hours and cramping fingers! Sorry no colours yet but getting there.

_GOTOTOP