_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
RFM M1A1 ODS question
CowboyfromHell
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 69 posts
Armorama: 68 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2020 - 04:35 PM UTC
I noticed that the Rye Field's M1A1 ODS kit contains lots of extra parts not used for early M1A1s, such as reinforced gunner's sight, rear basket APU, side CIP, etc. Then can I build a 2003 OIF M1A1 (which should be HC variant?) out of the box, except for the tracks, turret front CIP, and decals?
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2020 - 09:51 PM UTC
In a short reply, yes, you can. Actually, All of 3ID's tanks in OIF were HAs from prepositioned stocks, where the USMC used their own HCs. 4ID had a mix of M1A2 SEPs and M1A1Ds and 1AD brought their M1A1 AIMs from Germany whicle 3/1AD brought HCs(?) from Fort Riley.

Here is what I recommend to make up the shortfalls in the kit:
- Track: DEF Models T158 track will be the most accurate but you could also go with AFV Club M1A1 & A2 T158 Track
- Markings: Echelon Decals. There are numerous options for the units that participated in OIF I
- CIP for the turret faces: .010 Styrene with masking tape on the corners to replicate the Velcro.

I also noticed that most of the OIF parts from earlier RFM releases were in the ODS kit and was headed that way with a build and then did a redirect to replicate a M1A1HA tank from Korea (2-72 Armor) in the late 90's.

John
CowboyfromHell
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2020 - 10:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

In a short reply, yes, you can. Actually, All of 3ID's tanks in OIF were HAs from prepositioned stocks, where the USMC used their own HCs. 4ID had a mix of M1A2 SEPs and M1A1Ds and 1AD brought their M1A1 AIMs from Germany whicle 3/1AD brought HCs(?) from Fort Riley.

- Track: DEF Models T158 track will be the most accurate but you could also go with AFV Club M1A1 & A2 T158 Track
- Markings: Echelon Decals. There are numerous options for the units that participated in OIF I
- CIP for the turret faces: .010 Styrene with masking tape on the corners to replicate the Velcro.

I also noticed that most of the OIF parts from earlier RFM releases were in the ODS kit and was headed that way with a build and then did a redirect to replicate a M1A1HA tank from Korea (2-72 Armor) in the late 90's.

John

Thanks a lot, John!

3ID's vehicle on the "Thunder Run" raid is what I'm currently headed to.
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 1,383 posts
Armorama: 1,281 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2020 - 01:28 AM UTC
Love the history on this website!
Ringleheim
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 184 posts
Armorama: 183 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2020 - 04:07 AM UTC
To the OP, you have probably already seen this many times, but if not, you are going to want to watch this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGQxR1FXta8
Ringleheim
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2020 - 04:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

John

John, you seem to be the man to ask this question to. If I was going to build an OIF Abrams, which kit out there is the best starting point? There have been so many new M1 kits in the last couple of years, and I am a German WWII guy, not a modern armor guy. I'm completely lost.

Just looking for the best kit to depict that OIF time frame.

Thanks!
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2020 - 09:26 AM UTC
Jim,
My initial thoughts are to use the DML 3535 M1A1AIM kit but let me look through my pile of Abrams kits as the AIM kit might have been surpassed by some of the newer releases. I will get back with you.

John
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2020 - 04:58 PM UTC
I know the OP was waiting for John Charvat to provide an answer on the 'Best' kit to use for a OIF Thunder Run tank. I can chime in, having built a few Thunder Run M1A1s for the Thunder Run Exhibit at Ft. Stewart, Georgia. I built 'Answer To This', the lead tank in the column, with mine plow, and Columbia 2. I, and most, if not all, the other M1A1 modelers used the Dragon 3535 kit. I have been getting to the end of the Rye Field M1A1/A2 with full interior, and frankly, while the Rye Field has some details that the Dragon kit does not (e.g. the armor skirt identification placards (in PE), the Dragon kit has many things that I think are better, and those are, for example, metal front fender springs, and perhaps the most significant item in the Dragon 3535 is the PE bustle rack extension. The Dragon 3535 kits is the only kit I know of that has this rack extension, at all, but for sure, the only one in PE. While I find the Rye Field kit to be very close to the Dragon, I would have to recommend the Dragon M1A1 (3535) for an OIF Thunder Run tank.

The Rye Field kit has MUCH better tracks, if you choose to use the kit tracks, but I used aftermarket tracks, Bronco, for both my Thunder Run tanks.
Ringleheim
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 - 04:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I know the OP was waiting for John Charvat to provide an answer on the 'Best' kit to use for a OIF Thunder Run tank. I can chime in, having built a few Thunder Run M1A1s for the Thunder Run Exhibit at Ft. Stewart, Georgia. I built 'Answer To This', the lead tank in the column, with mine plow, and Columbia 2. I, and most, if not all, the other M1A1 modelers used the Dragon 3535 kit. I have been getting to the end of the Rye Field M1A1/A2 with full interior, and frankly, while the Rye Field has some details that the Dragon kit does not (e.g. the armor skirt identification placards (in PE), the Dragon kit has many things that I think are better, and those are, for example, metal front fender springs, and perhaps the most significant item in the Dragon 3535 is the PE bustle rack extension. The Dragon 3535 kits is the only kit I know of that has this rack extension, at all, but for sure, the only one in PE. While I find the Rye Field kit to be very close to the Dragon, I would have to recommend the Dragon M1A1 (3535) for an OIF Thunder Run tank.

The Rye Field kit has MUCH better tracks, if you choose to use the kit tracks, but I used aftermarket tracks, Bronco, for both my Thunder Run tanks.

Thanks for that, Curt. I thought I had read that the 3535 kit has fit issues.

Any truth to that? If its typical Dragon, that's fine.

I'm tempted to try the Rye Field kit you mention, only because it has the interior and that would be new modeling ground for me.

seanmcandrews
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 561 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 - 01:26 AM UTC
If you do end up going with 3535 the main gun trunnion needs to be raised about .040 " so that the top of the mantlet is flush with the top of the turret at zero elevation. It's not really noticeable if the gun is elevated but sticks out like a sore thumb otherwise.

Sean
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 - 07:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Curt for adding your input. I looked at the RFM kit(s) and agree that there are some details that are better on the RFM kits. I would go with either a RFM or DML AIM kit will work, depending on which unit's tank is being built. So I guess the bottom line is really which kit does the modeler have in their collection/can find to buy and which one do they feel most comfortable with building. If a RFM kit is your decision and you are building a Thunder Run tank, I can supply the PE set with the Kuwait APS supplied bustle rack extension and water can racks.

Since I replace most kit tracks with either AFV Club or DEF Models M1A1/M1A2 track, that is not a important factor in my decision.

Now, if you want to talk about M1A2 SEP kits, I would recommend Academy's SEP kit with the DEF Model's update as well as their track, although RFM has some nicer accessories...

John

John
CowboyfromHell
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2020 - 06:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That sounds indeed another interesting option worth consideration. Thank you!
 _GOTOTOP