_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Tamiya Panel Line Accent as Overall Wash?
Rampenfest
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 193 posts
Armorama: 188 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2020 - 05:02 PM UTC
Hello! I was wondering if anyone has ever used Tamiya Panel liner as an overall wash over a gloss coat? (Or no coat)

I was thinking of just dipping a bigger flat brush in the bottle and applying. Thank you!

- Joe
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2020 - 05:53 PM UTC
I would paint some leftover parts or the inside of the vehicle with the paints you used for your paint scheme. Then I'd try the panel liner on it to make sure it doesn't soften the paint. I don't think it would and all it is is a premixed wash so I see no reason you couldn't use it as one. It is dark tho so I'd test if first.
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2020 - 10:51 PM UTC
Try it on an old model, it might be too stark.
Floridabucco
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2020 - 11:24 PM UTC
I know this is an Armor forum, however if you also do any models made by Bandai....watch out for Tamiya washes, pretty much any enamel wash, but for some reason especially Tamiya....it will weaken and crack the plastic.

This has happened to me even after multiple coats of paint and sealers, if it finds it way to the bare plastic....cracks will appear.
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2020 - 02:08 AM UTC
Although I have never used it,from its name I would say that it may be too thick for an overall wash. Perhaps heavily thinned it could work.

But as said, try and see. And let us know your experience
Petro
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 984 posts
Armorama: 846 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2020 - 02:22 AM UTC
I ‘ve used it on Indy link tracks and link and length tracks. It might if attacked the glued points and weakened them, but can’t say for sure, but other then that it was fine.it doesn’t seem to attack glue joints when used as a liner.
I am not sure if I tried at as an overall wash.
I would need to see if I documented it.😀
metalhead85
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 219 posts
Armorama: 169 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2020 - 07:07 AM UTC
Hi Joe,
I used the Tamiya Panel Line Accent color (brown) to put some rust on my M1 Panther II tracks (just the metal parts of course) and it worked fine. It came really good in my opinion. I just used it out of the bottle with the applicator brush included with it. I did shake the bottle numerous times to get more of the pigment up. It didn't have any adverse effect on the tracks or anything. I haven't used it as an overall wash on the vehicle yet, just the tracks. I might use it here and there to put some rust effects on the fittings etc.

Rich
metalhead85
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 219 posts
Armorama: 169 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2020 - 07:12 AM UTC
I should mention that I painted the tracks Tamiya nato black first, then dry brushed xtra-color oily steel on the metal parts and then a couple of days later applied the accent panel line color, as I said, with no ill effects. Hope this helps!
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2020 - 06:21 AM UTC
I have not tried to do what you're asking about, only used the panel liner on aircraft, limiting the paint to the panel lines. As far as I can tell, the Tamiya Panel Liner is just high quality enamel paint, and I would think you could treat it the same way you would treat any overall enamel wash. That said, there are many, many enamel products that exist for the specific purpose of being washes for models. If it were me, I'd look to those products first, unless you have a particular reason for wanting to use your Tamiya product in this way.

May I ask if you would consider using an enamel wash instead of the route you're asking about?
Rampenfest
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 193 posts
Armorama: 188 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2020 - 04:56 AM UTC
Hey all,

Sorry for the late reply. I did experiment with it, and while different I kinda like the effect it created on my 1/48th Panther. There are a couple spots around the driver and radio operator hatches I need to clean up. I made a mistake though and forgot to clear coat over the decals, so you can see the edges. Oh well.

_GOTOTOP