_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
USMC Cougar 4x4 question
twong529
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 157 posts
Armorama: 113 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2020 - 01:24 AM UTC
Hoping someone can help. I would like to do the Panda 1/35 Cougar 4x4 as a USMC version with the MCTAGS turret and DUKE antennas.

I noticed that the USMC Cougars with the DUKE antennas don't have the top rear rectangular section mounted as in the Panda kit with the Chamelion. The ones with the DUKE have one large box on the top left rear of the roof and a smaller box on the top right rear with the LED light bar. Does anyone know what those boxes are? Are they part of the DUKE system? Also, does anyone make those in aftermarket parts? I did a search and even on Shapeways and couldn't find anything similar. Thanks for any help you could provide.

This is the version I would like to do.

This is the Panda kit version with the top rear rectangular section mounted.

Here is the rear showing the different boxes mounted.

Here is another rear view showing the different boxes mounted.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2020 - 03:48 PM UTC
The box on the rear right is open and has the transceiver for the FBCB2(Blue Force Tracker) You can see the GPS antenna just sticking out of the right corner of that box.

As a former communications SGT, I am making a logical guess and say that the box on the left is housing a RF-382A-15 Harris Antenna Coupler. In the first picture you can see a very long antenna attached to the right on the the box. The antenna is a 16ft type antenna.

twong529
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2020 - 08:02 AM UTC
Pete, thanks for the reply. Greatly appreciated!

I found an overhead photo showing the BFT in the tray. This particular one looks to have the original BFT in it. The tray should be easy enough to scratch build.

The newer FBCB2 dome should also be easy enough to add.

For the bigger box on the left rear housing the RF-382A-15 Harris Antenna Coupler I will have to figure something out.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2020 - 09:49 AM UTC
I'll send you photos from the USMC 4x4 Cougar walk around.
twong529
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2020 - 10:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll send you photos from the USMC 4x4 Cougar walk around.

Thanks Rob. PM replied to.
twong529
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 - 02:34 AM UTC
A few more requests if anyone can help. Looking for help on the roof mounted DUKE antenna and the device mounted on the center of the windshield.

Does anyone know how this DUKE is mounted to the roof? Anyone have any topside photos showing that specific mount? Also, does anyone know what the device is mounted to the center of the windshield?

There are two types of those devices on the center of the windshield. Here is the other type. This one seems to be the more widely used device.

It can also be mounted to the front grill.

Here is a photo from the Voyager detailing set and it shows some PE on that device. Panda doesn't show it on the instructions to be mounted but Voyager shows it and the parts are in the same color plastic as the rest of the kit. Did Panda include the parts on the parts trees but forgot to call it out in the instructions?

Here is another photo from the Voyager detailing set showing it from the back.

Lastly, does anyone have any topside photos showing the two boxes on the rear.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 - 03:00 AM UTC
Driver's Enhanced Vision system. Shows imagery in either white hot or black hot, driver's choice.
twong529
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 05:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Driver's Enhanced Vision system. Shows imagery in either white hot or black hot, driver's choice.

Thanks for the info Rob.

twong529
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 05:28 AM UTC
I found a topside photo showing the DUKE antenna mount and BFT tray. Panda includes the BFT tray in the M-ATV kit so will try to find one if someone has a trashed kit or used a PE detailing set and has the kit parts to spare .

Here is the Panda 1/35 M-ATV BFT tray. Parts D5 and G29. If anyone has spare parts or from a trashed kit I could use them. Please contact me for possible trade for those parts.

Meng includes the Driver's Enhanced Vision system in the Cougar 6x6 kit and again will try to find one if someone has a trashed kit or one to spare.

Here is the Meng 1/35 Driver's Enhanced Vision system from the Cougar 6x6 kit. Parts F1, F4, F10 and F27. If anyone has spare parts or from a trashed kit I could use them. Please contact me for possible trade for those parts.

Only thing I need to find now is a topside view showing the box/housing on the top left rear.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 05:35 AM UTC
That set up may be in some of my later M-ATV photos. I'll have a look.
twong529
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 05:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That set up may be in some of my later M-ATV photos. I'll have a look.

Thanks, appreciate it!
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 964 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 11:39 PM UTC
I might have the parts you're looking for, both the Panda and Meng. If I do you can have them, I'll check this afternoon for you.

Doc
twong529
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 12:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I might have the parts you're looking for, both the Panda and Meng. If I do you can have them, I'll check this afternoon for you.

Doc

John, thank you!
 _GOTOTOP