_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M-ATV interior color
gumshoe61
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2020 - 09:27 AM UTC
what would the interior color be of NATO camo mrap such as a M1240A1 M-ATV. Are they all painted sand of is there a dedicated color for NATO vehicles.

Thanks
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2020 - 09:44 AM UTC
Interesting question. While I have photographed every nut and bolt possible on the M-ATV, including the interior, all of the photos were of sand colored M-ATV's. I did photograph the exterior of a three tone M-ATV in Korea quite extensively, but didn't think to take any of the interior of it.

However, since the M-ATV and the JLTV are both produced in the same plant in Osh Kosh, Wisconsin that I visited, we could surmise the interior of the three tone M-ATV is Sand, as the JLTV is as well.

Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2020 - 09:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

we could surmise the interior of the three tone M-ATV is Sand, as the JLTV is as well.

I guess so

from http://www.wolfpack-d.com/book/htm/wpb1004.html

H.P.
gumshoe61
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 03:12 PM UTC
The engine compartment would also be sand?
John
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2020 - 01:12 AM UTC
Indeed.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2020 - 03:49 AM UTC
As the body panels and components on these vehicles are body-dipped for base painting, it all seems very reasonable that all body panels inside the crew and engine spaces would be the same color - just as for any typical car or truck made in the USA (and most other places, as well, seeing as the painting technology is common across the auto industry...).

What may well be worth thinking about and looking into, IMO, is whether the M-ATV engine spaces have any of the vinyl / plastic splash guards and liner pieces as seen in many US and foreign-built pickups and the like, where the engine-space side of front fenders and firewalls and such may have plastic covers installed.

I have one of the Panda kits (may not build it, and have not actually pawed in detail through the bits..., so plead ignorant of both the kit details and more importantly, of the REAL THING) - I don't know that that kit has any suggestion of such plastic liner bits, but IF it (or the RFM kit) DOES have some indication or suggestion of such liner bits, I think that these could well be a different color then the base sand paint... So this could be an interesting detail opportunity for some, if such panels do exist on the REAL THING and in the kits?

Cheers! Bob
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2020 - 03:55 AM UTC
And if folks choose to do that level of detail there is my most excellent M_ATV walk around that shows the engine area, and also has photos of the SOCOM version. Very extensive, and pages never fall out like the old Concord books.
11Bravo_C2
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 475 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2020 - 04:00 AM UTC
So what color will best replicate the "sand" exterior color used on this and other US Military vehicles?
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2020 - 06:05 AM UTC
Model Master FS 33531 works very well. Even so I've got photos of modern vehicles in a line showing three different shades on the real thing,
 _GOTOTOP