_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
ATAK Zimmerit for Meng King Tiger
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2020 - 10:58 AM UTC
All,

Perhaps this has been posted before, though I've not seen it...

I just got my very first purchase from the Andy's Hobby Headquarters e-Commerce site, the ATAK ZImmerit set for the 1/35 Meng King Tiger kit. I was always a huge fan of the Dragon Tiger and Tiger 2 tanks that came with the Zimmerit already molded onto the plastic. Until realizing how difficult it is to try to show where the Zim chunks may have fallen off or been blown off due to impact. Doing a good job of 'scraping' off the molded-on Zim could be a nightmare. So, I decided to go for the Meng Tiger 2, knowing that I could put the Zimmerit on myself. I had not been a fan of the Meng post-purchase ZImmerit, based on some negative reviews, but I knew that ATAK did a nice job with aftermarket ZImmerit, which could be easily modified for holes or chips, without the concern for damage to the underlying plastic!

And, the thing I wanted to mention most here, is that the turret ZImmerit in the ATAK set includes ready made holes for the spare track hooks, perfectly located! I don't know if the Meng set does this also, but I was thrilled to see that ATAK has included this...ideal for those of us who would rather not have to do all the necessary measuring and marking before installing the spare track mounting brackets.

Just a Public Service announcement for those VERY FEW of us interested in the ATAK solution to post purchase ZImmerit on the meng King Tiger!
 _GOTOTOP