_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
What matt cote over various paints?
Denimo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 186 posts
Armorama: 173 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 05:23 AM UTC
Hi Guys

Looking for advice. Im finishing HB's M911 and need to add a matt finish.

Ive used MM acrylic over Badger Stynlrez black, then Pledge, then decals. Will Pledge again today and pinwash tomorrow. No washing as I dont feel confident with that.

My question is: what do I use for an overall matt cote?

Thanks Guys
Petro
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 984 posts
Armorama: 846 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 05:29 AM UTC

I mainly use MM acrylic flat, but i recently tried Vallejo satin again.
Vallejo clears need major mixing. They say it is AB ready, but i need to thin my to prevent clogs. Not sure if due to age, or just not mixing enough.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 05:59 AM UTC
Vallejo stuff is good once you figure it out.You really need their thinner and their Airbrush Flow Improver.

I would also recommend Alclad Flat,its really dead flat and no mixing or thinning.
Denimo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 06:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Vallejo stuff is good once you figure it out.You really need their thinner and their Airbrush Flow Improver.

I would also recommend Alclad Flat,its really dead flat and no mixing or thinning.

Forgot to mention will be using Tamiya Panel Line for the pinwash.

Does this change things?
Denimo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 07:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I like Vallejo but as you say it needs "all the fixins" to work.

Another Q, I picked up a rattle can of Testors (lacquer) matt varnish on a now-rare trip to town. What can I use this on?

Thanks for your advice.

Petro
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 984 posts
Armorama: 846 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 07:15 AM UTC
No problems with MM or Vallejo clears when using panel liner in my experience
Denimo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 07:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No problems with MM or Vallejo clears when using panel liner in my experience

Thanks for that.
Denimo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 05:20 AM UTC
I read somewhere that Pledge/Future mixed with Tamiya X-21 Flat Base gives a good matt finish. 1 in 10 matt, 1 in 3 very matt.

Any views on this?
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 07:19 AM UTC
Testors Dullcote is my go to top coat. I haven't had any issues with Vallejo or acrylics but I always test on left over bits and pieces. I would recommend you let everything dry and cure for a few days before any top coat is applied, I'll usually wait a week before laying down Dullcoat. And the key is thin, light coats.
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 09:37 AM UTC
Hi Denis. Tamiya Flat Base and Future/Pledge gives varied results depending on the user. It can be patchy and often with a grainy finish, sometimes milky. It needs to be very thinly sprayed in layers allowing each to dry. If not, a heavier coat will be too wet and you get a build up around details where the flat base separates and ponds causing the milky appearance.

Do not use Mr Hobby or Gunze aqueous paints over your floor finish. The finish causes water to repel and so these water based paints will tend to bead over them, as they can do with oil washed models.

Personally, I use Vallejo acrylic paints mixed with water as a very thin wash over my models as part of the weathering. Their light tan colours give a good dust coat which takes away the gloss finish by themselves, if done right. This halftrack was painted using Tamiya acrylics including using 40% Tamiya Clear with the colours to give a smooth finish. Then a thin Vallejo 'wash' applied over it (and heavier streaking later obviously):

Trick is to wet the model with clean water first, then apply the wash over that and blended to stop tide marks and paint pooling.
Denimo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2020 - 05:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Denis. Tamiya Flat Base and Future/Pledge gives varied results depending on the user. It can be patchy and often with a grainy finish, sometimes milky. It needs to be very thinly sprayed in layers allowing each to dry. If not, a heavier coat will be too wet and you get a build up around details where the flat base separates and ponds causing the milky appearance.

Do not use Mr Hobby or Gunze aqueous paints over your floor finish. The finish causes water to repel and so these water based paints will tend to bead over them, as they can do with oil washed.
Personally, I use Vallejo acrylic paints mixed with water as a very thin wash over my models as part of the weathering. Their light tan colours give a good dust coat which takes away the gloss finish by themselves, if done right. This halftrack was painted using Tamiya acrylics including using 40% Tamiya Clear with the colours to give a smooth finish. Then a thin Vallejo 'wash' applied over it (and heavier streaking later obviously):

Trick is to wet the model with clean water first, then apply the wash over that and blended to stop tide marks and paint pooling.

Thanks Peter for the info and advice. Ive got some Vallejo matt ordered but Im also going to try Liquitex matt varnish. Your idea with diluted V matt sounds great and ill try that too.

Den
Denimo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2020 - 05:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Testors Dullcote is my go to top coat. I haven't had any issues with Vallejo or acrylics but I always test on left over bits and pieces. I would recommend you let everything dry and cure for a few days before any top coat is applied, I'll usually wait a week before laying down Dullcoat. And the key is thin, light coats.

Thanks Patrick, appreciate the advice.

Den
Denimo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 - 05:19 AM UTC
Just for info, I bought Liquitex and mixed it 1-3. It covered the M911 nicely with 2 coats needed. Dried to a nice matt finish and was easy to mix and apply.

Thanks to all for the guidance.
 _GOTOTOP