_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Airfix/Academy M3 Stuart - Help Please
nheather
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 295 posts
Armorama: 204 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 06:22 PM UTC
Does anyone have an Academy or Airfix 1:35 Stuart that they have not built yet?

If so wonder if you can help me.

I seem to have mislaid the breech block to the main gun - it is part B40 on my kit - Academy M3 Stuart Honey.

It looks pretty simple to create a replacement but I could do with the dimensions. Any photos would be a bonus too.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Cheers,

Nigel
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 11:17 PM UTC
I have the turret sitting on the bench. Looking down on the gun the breech block is 6cm long x 4.5cm wide x 3.5cm tall. The curve starts about 2/3 of the height. The breech opening is 3cm long x 2 cm wide x 2cm tall. It is recessed .5cm deep. It looks a lot like instruction pic. PM me your email address and I can try to take pics of it.

HTH
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 11:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have the turret sitting on the bench. Looking down on the gun the breech block is 6cm long x 4.5cm wide x 3.5cm tall. The curve starts about 2/3 of the height. The breech opening is 3cm long x 2 cm wide x 2cm tall. It is recessed .5cm deep. It looks a lot like instruction pic. PM me your email address and I can try to take pics of it.

HTH

Ummm, the whole Stuart tank in 1/35th scale is 13,8 cm long including sand shields and stowage box, the whole gun, end to end is 11,2 cm

I sort of doubt that the breech could be more than half the length of the whole weapon.

Did you possibly mean mm (millimetres) instead of cm (centimetres)?
The 37 mm diameter of the projectile fitting in the gun barrel would be 1,06 mm in 1/35th scale.
Tank1812
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 11:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

HTH

Ummm, the whole Stuart tank in 1/35th scale is 13,8 cm long including sand shields and stowage box, the whole gun, end to end is 11,2 cm

I sort of doubt that the breech could be more than half the length of the whole weapon.

Did you possibly mean mm (millimetres) instead of cm (centimetres)?
The 37 mm diameter of the projectile fitting in the gun barrel would be 1,06 mm in 1/35th scale.

It is possible. In my defense, I don't use metric every day and Alliance Modelworks ruler said cm so I was trying to show my work. I was using the first straight ruler to the right of the triangle ruler.

RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2020 - 12:12 AM UTC
The scaling on that ruler is inch and cm.
One inch is 2.54 cm, look at the 1 inch mark with the inch side upwards, there will be an upside down 2 on the cm side of the ruler, down to the left from the 1 inch mark. The cm side is graded in 0.5 mm so there will be 40 markings between 0 and 2 cm (0 and 20 mm, so 20 full mm or 40 half mm) The whole ruler is a little bit more than 4 inches long, graded 0 up to 10 cm, 4 inches is 10 cm + 1.6 mm.
The numbers on the cm side of the ruler denotes cm, 1 to 10, in millimetres this means 10 to 100 mm

Greetings from the metric world / Robin
Tank1812
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2020 - 12:47 AM UTC
So I was lead astray by the markings and should have said mm instead.

Overall I think metric is easier to deal with but the brain is not hardwire that way. I do like and understand decimals of a foot. Sends the wife to her safe place when she grabs the wrong tape measure. I still get the what does the one line mean again.
nheather
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 295 posts
Armorama: 204 posts
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2020 - 12:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Overall I think metric is easier to deal with but the brain is not hardwire that way. I do like and understand decimals of a foot. Sends the wife to her safe place when she grabs the wrong tape measure. I still get the what does the one line mean again.

Many thanks - I guessed you meant mm from the start - really useful.

Cheers,

Nigel
Tank1812
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2020 - 01:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Many thanks - I guessed you meant mm from the start - really useful.

Cheers,

Nigel

PM and email sent.

HTH
 _GOTOTOP