_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Can Anyone Tell Me About Mr. Surfacer?
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2020 - 09:25 AM UTC
I remember reading about it as a way to apply to welded joints, such as grab rods to tank sides, but when I bought some at a hobby shop years ago I found it unusable, but that might have been an old bottle. Can anyone tell me more about buying and using it?
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2020 - 09:55 AM UTC
It's best used as a filler. There are different grades, 500 and up. 500 is the most coarse.

It shrinks significantly when it dries and takes overnight to cure completely. So I only use it for small faults. often you will need to fill small faults more than once. It sands easily.

Some guys use the finer grades as primer and love it. It requires significantly thinning, and because it has some abrasive properties recommend using only an old airbrush.

HTH
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2020 - 10:27 AM UTC
Mr Surfacer 500 in the jar can be used to add texture to tank hulls and corrosion on exhausts,just brush it on and dapple it with an old brush
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2020 - 01:20 PM UTC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGyIrQfhoGI

I looked up this video. But I'm not sure of the cleaner he is referring to.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Armorama: 194 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2020 - 03:59 PM UTC
You can "reactivate" a jar if it has dried out a bit using lacquer thinner. I have an old jar of MS500 that I still use for brush application this way.

I use MS1500 as my go-to primer/surfacer, thinned with a bit over 50% Mr Levelling Thinner. I have Grey, Black and White to use depending on the top coat colour,

Cheers, D
ayovtshev
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 1,432 posts
Armorama: 1,390 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2020 - 04:48 PM UTC
I'm a frequent user of Mr. Surfacer 500.I use Ammonia(from Diy store) to rehydrate it.
And like Damian,I use Mr. Surfacer 1500 with Mr. Color Levelling Thinner as my first choice primer.

HTH,
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2020 - 04:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mr Surfacer 500 in the jar can be used to add texture to tank hulls and corrosion on exhausts,just brush it on and dapple it with an old brush

Ditto!

Can be used to replicate the cast texture of many a tank, i.e., the hull/turret of a M47, as just one example.
phil2015
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 502 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2020 - 04:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I remember reading about it as a way to apply to welded joints, such as grab rods to tank sides, but when I bought some at a hobby shop years ago I found it unusable, but that might have been an old bottle. Can anyone tell me more about buying and using it?

Lots of good responses about Mr Surfacer. I'm a little confused about your question. I *think* you want to add build-up from a weld around a place where you've attached a handle or rail? I wouldn't use it to attach such a piece. I might use mr surf 500 to build something up by dabbing it on with a very small brush.

Regards,
Phil
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2020 - 09:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Lots of good responses about Mr Surfacer. I'm a little confused about your question. I *think* you want to add build-up from a weld around a place where you've attached a handle or rail? I wouldn't use it to attach such a piece. I might use mr surf 500 to build something up by dabbing it on with a very small brush.

Regards,
Phil

I have both a T-34/85 and a M26 Pershing on hold, and both kits have places that need to be filled in where you cannot place modelling putty. Both tanks also have some rough welded areas too.
phil2015
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 502 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2020 - 10:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Regards,
Phil

I have both a T-34/85 and a M26 Pershing on hold, and both kits have places that need to be filled in where you cannot place modelling putty. Both tanks also have some rough welded areas too.

Hard to say about the filler thing. For filling mounting holes that I no longer need I use perfect plastic putty. Dab it on with a brush, let it dry, then wipe off the excess with a wet cotton bud. I think you could use mr surfacer for that, but it's a little more difficult for that I think. I'm not sure about weld seams. I melt styrene rod with tamiya extra thin and use a knife to make the texture in it. Not sure if this helps, but hopefully.

Regards,
Phil
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2020 - 10:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Regards,
Phil

Hard to say about the filler thing. For filling mounting holes that I no longer need I use perfect plastic putty. Dab it on with a brush, let it dry, then wipe off the excess with a wet cotton bud. I think you could use mr surfacer for that, but it's a little more difficult for that I think. I'm not sure about weld seams. I melt styrene rod with tamiya extra thin and use a knife to make the texture in it. Not sure if this helps, but hopefully.

Regards,
Phil

Same thing with Mr Surfacer,except Its cleans up with Lacquer thinner on a bud,the problem is you need multiple applications because it shrinks when it cures.Perfect Plastic putty is better for hole filling.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2020 - 11:27 PM UTC
It's long seam rather than hole filling. I guess Mr. Surfacer would be the best for those spots.
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2020 - 12:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Regards,
Phil

When I'm roughing up the texture of a turret/hull...and there are grab handles in the same area, I replace them with correct size metal rod (using CA). In this case, for the M47, .010 brass rod is used for the handles. Then using a small brush, add/dab a small amount of Mr Surfacer to the end of the rod to replicate the welded root of the handle. The rest of the turret, in the photo, is also treated with Mr Surfacer to replicate the roughness of the casting (which is very weak, if not downright missing, from both the Testors, and Takom, kits). Click on photo to enlarge.

RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2020 - 05:00 AM UTC
The great thing about Mr Surfacer and Mr Dissolved Putty is that even if they go completely hard (as in they rattle when you shake the bottle), you can resurrect them by adding Gunze’s lacquer thinner. Don’t waste the levelling stuff on it though.
 _GOTOTOP