_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Softskins
Softskins group discussions.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Another Long Range Desert Group Chevrolet.
Brigandine
Visit this Community
Dunedin, New Zealand
KitMaker: 553 posts
Armorama: 312 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2020 - 04:33 PM UTC
And it has been ages since I last posted any new builds in Armorama: long story short, a major operation on my neck way back in 2013 kept me out of modelling action for a couple of years, after which life just got too busy to do much model building...
Anyway, about three years ago, I completed 'Cock O' The North', a Chevrolet 30 cwt 1533x2 Fitter's truck of Y2 (Yeomanry) Patrol of the Long Range Desert Group. It is based on this small, slightly 'orrible photo:

I realized a while ago that I have gotten some of the equipment details wrong, especially on the L/H side: for instance, in the photo of the real vehicle, there seems to be a sledge hammer residing on the passenger's seat...something that I assumed was a small shovel is part of the strong shadow cast by what looks to be a long crowbar mounted vertically on the side of the body.

The spare radiator and storage brackets on the R/H side are from a photo of another fitter's truck that got lost during the transition from an old PC to a new one. I'm assuming that the radiator would normally have been padded and shrouded during a patrol.
southpier
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 546 posts
Armorama: 316 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2020 - 07:39 PM UTC
well laden!
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2020 - 08:10 PM UTC
Great build, not sure you have a "built after a real photograph" category in NZ shows like we have in France at Saumur for instance, buy you'd definitely get a medal!

Cheers,

Christophe
Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 840 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2020 - 08:21 PM UTC
that's an amazing job you've done based on a few low quality photographs. sorry to hear about the operation on your neck, I hope things are better now.
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1,513 posts
Armorama: 1,449 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2020 - 12:16 AM UTC
Boss truck
Dan
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2020 - 01:22 AM UTC
I have one in the stash I have been thinking about. Your build is a great invitation to get started.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2020 - 01:59 AM UTC
Superb job. There can never be too many of these to look at.

Because it was a B&W photo, you may not know that the inside of those rolled sand mats on the fenders (wings) served as signals as well, and were red and white striped. It show a little bit on the ends.
Brigandine
Visit this Community
Dunedin, New Zealand
KitMaker: 553 posts
Armorama: 312 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2020 - 04:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Superb job. There can never be too many of these to look at.

Because it was a B&W photo, you may not know that the inside of those rolled sand mats on the fenders (wings) served as signals as well, and were red and white striped. It show a little bit on the ends.

I appreciate your comments. And yes, I know that many - but not necessarily all - of the sand mats doubled as signalling/air recognition panels: if you look closely, you'll see that my sand mats have the red/white stripes, although that isn't very obvious on the photos. As it is, I'm investigating ways to improve the look of my sandmats, because the real ones usually had wood batons incorporated between the layers of canvas, that helped strengthen the mats and provide extra grip for the tyres: those batons meant that the sandmats had a more 'corrugated' appearance than mine.
The following are some examples of why the sand mats, steel sand channels, shovels and muscle power were needed: also note the narrow, lightweight steel strip carriers for the sand mats on the front mudguards.

The crew of a Chevy of R1 Patrol gets some useful advice on how to dig it out of a sand-drift from the crew of another truck:

A lightly loaded Chevy, possibly from R2 Patrol, shows how to get stuck:

Another view of that lightly loaded Chevy 1533x2 of R2 Patrol that got into a spot of bother:

A Chevy of R1 Patrol is being helped over relatively firm going:

18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2020 - 12:57 AM UTC
Even enlarging the screen as large as I can and wearing my trusted Optivisor I can't see it. But I certainly believe you - the issue is my eyes. What I can see is that those are the best looking sands mats I've seen to date. They actually look like wooden slats sewn between two layers of burlap. Those must have been fun to make.
bat_213
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 110 posts
Armorama: 95 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2020 - 11:36 AM UTC
yor build is great, and the pics are awsome
 _GOTOTOP