Advice on Russian T-55 in Afganistan
gibbo
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 30 posts
Armorama: 30 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2020 - 06:12 PM UTC
Hi all,
I’m looking at grabbing the Miniart T-55.
Either the T-55 Mod. 1970 WITH OMSh TRACKS 37064 or T-55A MOD.1981 37024,
I would like to construct a Russian 40th Army from Afghanistan. During the Soviet/Afgan war.

Issue is which one? I know manufactures get markings wrong, I'm not saying both or either of these kits marking are wrong. I just don’t know, from my research. I would like to know where they got their reference from.
I have googled and found nothing on T-55 manned by Russians in Afghanistan. I know there were T54/55 there (I saw two knocked out ones not far from Tarin Kwot). All I can find on the net is T-55 manned by the Afghanistan Army from the soviet/afghan war.

I built the Tamiya T-55A years ago (10+) and was impressed. I did have to add upgrades and a bit of scratch building. But at the time it was the best kit out there in my opinion.
Looking on line and some reviews, to me the miniart series of T-54/55 are next level. With very few mods if any to make.

So I’m asking which one would be correct and what if, any modifications need to make an accurate T-55 from a Russian unit. I’m no T-55 expert by far. So any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

GG

TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2020 - 03:44 AM UTC
Did you put this on the Russian forum? Might be helpful if you haven't.
 _GOTOTOP