_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
late war winter 'dazzle' camo finishes
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,315 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 12:33 PM UTC
Hi. Today I saw my first glimpse of this type of camo finish on late war panzers, specifically Panthers--or at least the first time that I took more than a passing notice of it anyway, (which is more likely the case I asssume.)

Kelley was nice enough to e-mail me a couple of pictures of this type of finish from a book he had, which I have subsequently ordered, and then while I was glancing over the 'Constructive Comments' section of Missing Lynx site, I saw a recently posted Panther Ausf. G in an Ardennes Dio with this type of finish. And it was a most effectively done model, blending in very well with it's surroundings that the modeler had created for it.

I don't know just how many other modelers are familiar with this type of finish, but I thought I would bring it to anybody's attention who happens to be looking for that certain something that's 'different' to add to their finishes on late war German armor vehicles they may build in the future.

I've also heard that there was an experimental type of camo finish that was either used, or thought about being used, on German vehicles for action in very late urban war settings. A sort camo job put on in blocks of various colors placed all over, or in certain specific loacations of the vehicle. Has anybody else heard anything about this before?

Just curious.

Take care, Sgirty
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 07:27 PM UTC
The 'urban' scheme is to be applied to the FlakPanther that I'm building at the moment. It was revived in the 1970's? by the British and applied to some vehicles in Berlin.

TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 02:29 AM UTC
Howdy fellas,

Mighty interesting. It obviously reminds me of the naval 'dazzle' camo scheme's I like so much. It would be an interesting paint scheme to do.
But then I'm not really sure if a false bow wave would help a Chieftain any.......

Tread.

BTW, thx for the pics DaveCox.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2004 - 07:54 PM UTC
Here's my FlakPanther Coelian wearing my interpretation of the proposed 'urban' scheme:

There are more pics in my gallery, looks good in black'n'white ! The building is machined from a flat sheet of plaster using a motor tool, the base is Great North roads item recycled from an older dio.
 _GOTOTOP