_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
What did I do wrong?
USMA15
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2020 - 09:38 AM UTC
Hi friends,

I'm getting back into the game after a 10ish year break for college, etc. I'm working on my first model back and I screwed up the paint job with a MIG wash. Here's what I did: primer, MIG acrylics paint job, Tamiya clear gloss from a can, MIG wash. The MIG wash ate through the clear gloss and into the acrylic base coat. Obviously, the gloss did not protect the acrylic from the enamel wash.

Can anyone tell me why, or what they do instead to avoid my error?

Thanks, and happy modeling!
Andrew
clovis899
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 774 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2020 - 09:54 AM UTC
Andy,
Sounds like it should have worked. I am assuming you left the clear gloss long enough for it to dry rock solid? I try to give 24 hours between those types of steps. In the future you might want to try some of the acrylic washes that are available; that way you would be using an acrylic over a lacquer which should give you all the protection you would need.

For your current build you could always strip the paint job and start from that point again. Not what anyone wants to hear but it does work.

Glad to have you back and best of luck to you with this and all your future builds!

Cheers,
Rick Cooper
USMA15
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2020 - 09:57 AM UTC
Hi Rick!

That must be the issue...I'm guilty of giving the gloss coat only about 6 hours. Luckily, it's just the interior so I can still save the model with a good exterior job. Thanks for the lesson learned, and the quick reply!

_GOTOTOP