_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Diluting Paint- Revell and AK True Color
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2020 - 07:56 PM UTC
I have two questions about paints I have not used before.

I made a mistake and bought AK's True Colors (two jars...) without checking... it turns out they are not the usual water-based paints, and need their own solvent. (Which I will have to order now. :/) How exactly are they diluted, and how do they airbrush? What do you use to clean the airbrush with? (Alcohol? Turpentine?)

https://web.ipmsusa3.org/content/real-colors-acrylic-lacquer-paints

This says even water dilutes this paint, but honestly it just makes it into a thick goo. (Thank god I tried it first.)

I only have experience with water-based paints- I try to keep sticking to them because they are not as harsh to your lungs.) I really don't want to get a whole new system of paints, but since I have these two I might as well use them.

I also have a couple of revell acrylic paints - and would like to use them with an airbrush. Can you you do it? How do you dilute them? (They are paste-like, so there must be some serious dilution factor applied, but have no clue.)

If anyone could give me a couple of pointers I would be really grateful.
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2020 - 11:36 PM UTC
Haven't used my self Real Color paints but being acrylic lacquers, anything you use with Tamiya Acrylics should work fine with them...
spongya
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 12:22 AM UTC
That's the thing: I use water/windex.
JayJHCruz
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 01:45 AM UTC
I have used AK Real Colors on a few projects, and I have to say, I like them.

If you are familiar with using Tamiya paints, these handle similar through the ol' airbrush. So if you have positive experiences with Tamiya, you'll likely have positive experiences with this stuff too.

As far as thinning them goes, after a few tries I started using the AK Real Colors thinner for them. Obviously it's purpose made and it works well. Before that I used alcohol, which did the trick (like it does for Tamiya paints), but I just like the AK thinner a little better.

I don't recommend using water. I use it to clean out the cup of my airbrush after use, and like you say, it interacts strangely with the AK paints, making them sort of a goop.
SO usually I either spray out what paint is left in the cup, or empty it out as much as I can. After that I run some thinner through the airbrush to clean out most of the residue paint and after that I take it apart for regular cleaning.

In summary, AK Real Colors is good paint. Just use their thinner and you'll be happy.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 02:02 AM UTC
I like to stick with the manufacturers thinners
spongya
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2020 - 06:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I like to stick with the manufacturers thinners

That's the thing: it was an accidental purchase (did not realize "normal" acrylic thinner for AK or water would not work), and ordering thinner would mean ordering thinner for two jars of paint only, and paying more for shipping than for the thinner itself (about twice the price of the thinner...) So I am looking for a workaround. Alcohol sounds good; I will try that.
 _GOTOTOP